Posted on June 30th, 2010 No comments5 Simple Eco-Friendly Ways to Pamper Yourself
1) Give your basic bath a boost
Baths are a simple way to de-stress after a long day and relax tired muscles. Several pure, all-natural household ingredients make it easy to transform your everyday bath into a luxurious soak session. Simply add a cup of milk, two tablespoons of honey, two pinches of sea salt, and a ½ cup of oatmeal to running bathwater. The wholesome ingredients work together to detoxify, soften, and soothe skin.
2) Fix yourself a cup of green tea
The Chinese have been aware of the mind-blowing benefits of this miracle brew since ancient times. A study from Harvard outlines several of the medical benefits to this bloat-banishing drink, including lowering cholesterol and reducing the risk of cancer. Steep a green tea bag in a mug of hot water for several minutes, add a spoonful of honey for a little extra sweetness, and cheers to your fabulous self!
3) A facial regimen to please every green gal
Put your best face forward. The SPA at Hotel Felix offers a number of world-class and environmentally-friendly treatments for your pleasure. Here are two of our favorite eco-friendly facial treatments offered exclusively at the SPA at Hotel Felix:
- Sundari Omega 3 Facial: Breathe new life into dry or stressed skin with this deeply nourishing, intensely hydrating facial. Our own Omega3+ complex uses naturally active ingredients to restore skin’s lost lipids; softening, renewing and awakening your natural glow. ($120*)
- Sundari Facial: Awaken and rejuvenate your skin with this holistic facial that is customized for your skin’s specific needs. Naturally active ingredients like lemon, sandalwood and lavender are custom-blended for an intensive cleansing and gentle exfoliation. Our signature balancing marmassage completes this experience for newly radiant skin. ($105*)
Call to book a treatment with us at 312.256.8000 or make your reservation online.
To keep your skin naturally vibrant and gorgeously glowing in between treatments, be sure to exfoliate at least once a week. Here is a simple, all-natural recipe to transform your face into lustrous, baby soft skin:
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- dash of honey
Mix all ingredients together. Smooth the mixture onto face and décolletage and massage gently. Rinse with warm water.
*Prices subject to change, see website (www.hotelfelixchicago.com) for complete pricing details
4) Refresh your feet the all-natural way
Your tootsies are tired! Reward them with a nice, long, relaxing soak. Prepare a pail or bathtub with warm water. While the water is running, add two drops each of chamomile and lavender essential oils. Both herbs are known for their relaxing properties.
Next, immerse your feet in the fragrant water. After soaking for several minutes, gently slough away dead skin and fast track circulation with a pumice stone. Pumice stones are naturally formed from lava and are an excellent tool to smooth your feet. Dip your feet back in the water to rinse off any remaining dead skin. Finish off by slathering on your favorite deep-moisturizing lotion.
5) All-organic (& edible) deep-conditioning hair mask
For a silky smooth mask for your mane, look no further than your kitchen cabinet. Our all-natural hair treatment will turn your limp, lackluster strands into shiny, luscious locks. Simply mix one jar of organic mayonnaise (such as Spectrum®) with one ripe organic avocado (the riper it is, the easier to mash) until you have a uniform mixture. Apply the mask liberally to your hair, from roots to tips. Wrap hair with a slightly damp towel and leave on for 30 minutes. Rinse thoroughly and enjoy your newly conditioned coif!
Posted on June 25th, 2010 No comments
The 4th of July is right around the corner! Headed to Chicago? Or planning a staycation at Sweet Home Chicago? Chicago has countless festivities taking place, plus the Hotel Felix has a special promotion: 30% off when you book three or more nights.
So, roll up your patriotic sleeves and start planning your 4th of July fun. Here are a few ideas:
- Ditch your diet and hit up Chicago’s infamous Taste of Chicago, which kicks off today and celebrates its 30th anniversary this year. Dozens of restaurants and food vendors participate in this food fest where 12 tickets costs just $8 and “Taste Portions” cost 2-4 tickets. Location: Columbus Drive from Balbo to Monroe Drive. The Taste of Chicago runs through July 4.
- Grant Park Music Festival takes place July 3 at 1:30 p.m. with the Grant Park Orchestra joining a local tap dancer, Lane Alexander, with patriotic beats. This is a free and kid-friendly event.
- Fireworks and the 4th of July are nearly synonymous. Way back in frigid January, media warned us that the fireworks shows might fizzle out this year to save the city some dough. Don’t fret – there are still plenty of fireworks happening this year with three lakefront displays on July 4. Navy Pier has a fireworks show (in addition to all the shows they do throughout the summer) and there are two additional shows at the South lakefront (viewable from 63rd to Promontory Point at 55th) and North lakefront (viewable from Foster to Montrose). All three shows start at 9 p.m.
Happy Independence Day. Enjoy a safe and happy holiday.
Posted on June 14th, 2010 1 comment
We have a great appreciation for the arts – everything from fine art and sustainable designs (check out 360 SEE Gallery) to unique, eye-catching photos. We’re really loving the Chicago pictures by Joseph Lekas Photography. Check out his gallery to see all his great work. Here’s one of our favorites – an interesting shot of Wrigley Field. To do this, the photographer took six vertical shots from left to right and for each of the six, he shot five exposures. Then he lined them up in Photoshop to make a panorama. That sounds like a lot of work to us but the end result is awesome so it must be worth it!
To see more of his work, visit Joseph Lekas Photography.