Posted on February 28th, 2012 5 comments
Check out these great websites to change your lifestyle. They offer fantastic advice and introduce new, green products that will make your life easier (and help save the planet too!).
- Mother Nature Network: This website is dedicated to “Improve Your World.” MNN offers an array of news and information available. The website is designed for everyday people who are dedicated to making the world a better place. They offer up-to-date news about green products and green living.
- Tree Hugger: Stay Connected with Tree Hugger. The team consists of sustainable enthusiasts and offers up the best ways to stay green.
- Grist: For the best environmental news tune into Grist. Founded in 1999 Grist has been dishing out the best news and products for us to enjoy
- World Changing: This website is committed to changing your thinking about the environment. World Changing is a nonprofit media organization dedicated to solutions-based journalism about the planetary future.
- Inhabitat: Their philosophy is green design is good design and good design is green design. The website covers green design, architecture, energy and technology. In addition to running the blog, Inhabitat also organizes the annual Greener Gadgets conference.
These websites are dedicated to helping the everyday person live a greener life. With a little help, we can all become a greener society.
What’s your favorite green site?
Posted on February 21st, 2012 No comments
We would just like to extend a “Happy Fat Tuesday!” to all. Indulge today! Let us know what your plans are for Mardi Gras.
Posted on February 14th, 2012 No comments
Happy Valentine’s Day to all of you out there! For couples celebrating together, be sure to enjoy each other’s company and surprise your valentine with a sweet treat. For all our singles out there take the day to pamper yourself. Most of all enjoy this day of love!
Here are some fun facts about Valentine’s Day:
- 73% of people who buy flowers for Valentine’s Day are men, while only 27% are women.
- More than 35 million heart-shaped boxes of chocolate will be sold for Valentine’s Day.
- The red rose was the favorite flower of Venus, the Roman goddess of love.
- Approximately 110 million roses, mostly red, will be sold and delivered within the three-day Valentine’s Day time period.
- Teachers will receive the most Valentine’s Day cards, followed by children, mothers, wives, sweethearts and pets.
- In addition to the United States, Valentine’s Day is celebrated in Canada, Mexico, United Kingdom, France, Australia, Denmark and Italy.
For more fun facts check out She Knows. Happy Valentine’s Day everyone, we hope you enjoy your celebrations!
Posted on February 8th, 2012 No comments
We all know that our smart phones are our life source while traveling, but often times we are unable to plug in our phone and let the battery charge back up. Here are a few tips to live by while traveling:
- ONLY USE YOUR PHONE WHEN NECESSARY! Yes, this one is a challenge but it will help use less battery power. If you need to use your phone make sure you are using only the necessary apps. If you have to check your email, turn off Angry Birds– you can’t do both at once.
- Your phone will use extra juice when searching for a signal. When you are in an area where you know there is no service such as an airplane or subway, switch your phone onto airplane mode, or better yet, turn it off.
- Check the brightness of your phone. To stretch out the battery life turn down the brightness without putting too much strain on your eyes.
- Bad vibrations. Another quick fix to preserve the battery life is to turn off the vibrate function on your phone.
- Disable Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. This function can drain your battery very quickly, if it isn’t a necessity, turn it off.
- Give your phone a nap. If you are headed into a business meeting or out to eat with close friends turn your phone off. This will help save the battery and help you resist the urge of checking for updates and offending others.
These simple tips can help save the battery life on your phone while traveling when you do not have the time or opportunity to charge your phone.
Posted on February 8th, 2012 No comments
Guess who we spotted last weekend at Hotel Felix? Here are some clues: Lethal Weapon, Angels in the Outfield, The Color Purple.
You guessed it; actor, producer, humanitarian, Danny Glover! Mr. Glover spent his weekend here in the Windy City and chose none other than this Eco Friendly dig. A big thank you to Danny Glover for choosing us during this recent stay in Chicago.
Posted on February 1st, 2012 No comments
Snow-mageddon, Snow-pocalypse, Snotorious B.I.G or Sno.m.g. Whichever name you prefer, on this historic day last year Chicago was hit was one of the largest storms to date. The storm left a blanket of snow over the city leaving many people stranded. Although not record breaking, the storm left 20.2 inches of snow in its path.
The storm settled in as the third worst snow fall behind 1999, which came in second with 21.6 inches, and 1967, which had an astounding 23 inches covering the city. Hotel Felix offered an oasis from the “Thunder Snow” with a discounted price for those with no place to go. Take a trip down memory lane with this photo gallery of Snow-pocalypse from the Chicago Tribune. What are your memories or experiences from the blizzard of 2011?