Summer is finally here! In Chicago, we earned it after quite a long winter and a bleak spring. Now, everyone is out and about exploring the city and all it has to offer. When the weather is hot and everyone is looking for the next weekend getaway, cool off with these tips for traveling green this summer.
• People produce more waste when traveling than any other time in the year. To cut back on some of that waste, bring a re-useable water bottle while traveling.
• Take a non-stop flight to your destination as well as be mindful of your choice of aircrafts. Larger airplanes, such as the Boeing 777, get more people to their destinations with less fuel consumption.
• While cooling off at the beach, use eco-friendly sunscreens to keep Lake Michigan free of extra pollution.
• Take in all Chicago has to offer by biking! Divvy bike stations are easily accessible all over Chicago and provide a great eco-friendly way to see the sites. It’s a great way to reduce your carbon footprint.
• Eat and shop locally! The food that is grown locally does not need to be shipped and therefore uses no extra fuel. Plus it’s a great way to immerse yourself into the culture of the city! See what the locals see and eat what the locals eat.