Posted on July 9th, 2015 No comments
Five years ago, we received our Green Seal Certification. We’re thrilled to have this honor and uphold the highest standards for the environment in our hotel. We pride ourselves on being an environmentally friendly and sustainable, luxury hotel.
The Green Seal Standards, as listed on their website, state that the Claim Verification program for hotels and lodging focuses on the hotel’s ability to “maintain energy reduction, waste reduction, resource minimization, emissions reduction, and biodiversity conservation.”
Some of the ways in which we’re green are:
– Natural southern exposure, which aids in heating the building during the winter months
– Preserved building structure in re-development, which prevented non-biodegradable materials going to landfills
– Exterior sculptures made from reclaimed materials
– Low energy-use lighting, such as compact fluorescent & LED throughout building
– “Recycling Room” used by the hotel to sort recyclables
– Use of USGBC approved cleaning supplies that are earth friendly
– Use of free trade coffees and chocolates
We’re also Chicago’s first Silver LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification from the United States’ Green Building Council in the city of Chicago.
We try our best to reduce our carbon footprint. Share your tips and suggestions on how you are green!
Posted on July 3rd, 2015 No comments
The summer months in Chicago are popular and for good reason – the weather is warmer and there’s countless festivals and activities to do outside. Chicago is also the #1 destination in the United States for the 4th of July. Hard to believe but true! I guess we can’t be called the “Second City” for much longer. You can see more details on that on ABC-7′s news site here.
All month long, there are exciting festivals and concerts happening near or just a short ride from our hotel. Here’s a few that might interest you:
– Chicago Tango Week – July 2-5
– Windy City Ribfest – July 3-5
– Taste of Chicago – July 8-12 (The largest food festival in the US!)
– Artfest on Michigan Avenue July 10-12
– Irish American Heritage Festival July 10-12
– Windy City Smokeout July 10-12
– Mamby on the Beach (music festival) July 11-12
– Roscoe Village Burger Fest July 11-12
– Pitchfork Music Festival July 17-19
– Taste of River North July 17-19 (Right in our neighborhood)
– Chicago Margarita Festival July 25
– Taste of Lincoln Avenue July 25-26
– Wicker Park Fest July 25-26
– Lollapalooza July 31-August 2
Have a great time this month and let us know what festivals you check out.
Posted on June 30th, 2015 No comments
Summer is finally here! In Chicago, we earned it after quite a long winter and a bleak spring. Now, everyone is out and about exploring the city and all it has to offer. When the weather is hot and everyone is looking for the next weekend getaway, cool off with these tips for traveling green this summer.
• People produce more waste when traveling than any other time in the year. To cut back on some of that waste, bring a re-useable water bottle while traveling.
• Take a non-stop flight to your destination as well as be mindful of your choice of aircrafts. Larger airplanes, such as the Boeing 777, get more people to their destinations with less fuel consumption.
• While cooling off at the beach, use eco-friendly sunscreens to keep Lake Michigan free of extra pollution.
• Take in all Chicago has to offer by biking! Divvy bike stations are easily accessible all over Chicago and provide a great eco-friendly way to see the sites. It’s a great way to reduce your carbon footprint.
• Eat and shop locally! The food that is grown locally does not need to be shipped and therefore uses no extra fuel. Plus it’s a great way to immerse yourself into the culture of the city! See what the locals see and eat what the locals eat.
Posted on June 29th, 2015 No comments
Right here in our lobby! With all the buzz of “Taste of Chicago,” we wanted to share updates on Troquet, the French inspired restaurant adjacent to our lobby. Consider it a Taste of France!
Revel in the mesmerizing sound of live piano music every Wednesday night or indulge yourself in unlimited Mimosas during their Saturday or Sunday brunch.
The restaurant offers creative and imaginative cuisine that caters even to the most discerning palate. Bon Appetit!
Posted on June 25th, 2015 No comments
Relax and rejuvenate! Time to pamper yourself – You’ve earned it.
The Spa Boutique Felix offers a variety of services such as massages, body treatments, facials, nails and waxing. It’s the convenience of a full service spa in a boutique setting right under our roof. Plus, the spa uses organic products that supplement even the most sensitive skin types.
For a limited time, get a $20.00 discount on massages and facials on same day bookings. Hurry – this offer won’t last long. Reserve your appointment and call 312-256-8000.
Posted on June 24th, 2015 No comments
As the first SILVER-LEED certified hotel in Illinois, we blend a comfortable elegance with inspiring natural elements.
We offer whisper quiet rooms, with luxurious linens and beddings. Our rooms are also equipped with motion sensitive temperature control systems, low flow toilets and low water showerheads.
Just for you, we have our ongoing Summer Sizzle Special*. Book now through July 31, 2015 and stay through August 31, 2015 and receive 20% OFF our best available rates*. This is a great deal that you’ll want to take advantage of and take comfort in!
*Certain restrictions apply. Requires cancellation 24 hours prior arrival to avoid one night’s room and tax fees. To learn more, contact Denise Howlett, Area Director of Revenue, at email@example.com or Larry Irving, Director of Operations at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted on June 16th, 2015 No comments
Three-peat! Last night, the Chicago Blackhawks won the 2015 Stanley Cup finals, beating the Tampa Bay Lightning, 2-0.
This is the third Stanley Cup victory for the Chicago Blackhawks in six years. What’s best – they won on our home ice this time, making the win even sweeter. Chicago – ever the town for sports enthusiasts – is buzzing with excitement and Mayor Rahm Emmanuel has promised a “world-class” celebration and parade for Thursday, June 18 in Chicago.
We’re very happy for the city, the players and the loyal fans. Congratulations, Chicago Blackhawks! #OneGoal #BecuaseItsTheCup
Posted on June 15th, 2015 No comments
Farmer’s markets are quite popular in Chicago – and a “must see” when visiting our city. It’s a great way to get a snack or some fresh produce from a local farm and learn about what produce is in season. The city’s largest Farmer’s Market – Green City Market – is just a short DIVVY Bike from our hotel.
The market is open to the public on Wednesday and Saturday mornings and more than 50 vendors have their best produce, food, flower and more available for purchase. Plus, there’s a number of “prepared” foods to try for a breakfast or a snack, including crepes, tamales, grilled cheese sandwiches and more.
Chicago Magazine recently shared the best of the best at Green City Market. Learn more in their article here.
Posted on June 10th, 2015 No comments
Here at Hotel Felix, we love being based in a city with a variety of eco-friendly businesses. One of our personal favorites is the Greenheart Shop.
Located at 1714 N. Wells Street, the Greenheart Shop has devoted itself to fair trade practices since 2007. Their mission is simple: provide a shopping experience that supports fair trade, eco-friendly products, and local social enterprises. When you choose to shop fair trade at Greenheart your purchase supports community development projects, safe working conditions, and sustainable environmental practices. Not to mention a perfect gift for yourself or loved ones back home!
The Greenheart Shop also prides itself on stocking a wide variety of products. Including but not limited to clothing, home decor, children’s items, and accessories. In addition, the Greenheart Shop features an “Artisan of the Month” on their website to showcase different fair trade artisans from around the world. So the next time you need a gift, a pick me up, or a little stylish inspiration, we hope you’ll visit our friends at the Greenheart Shop.
For more information on the Greenheart Shop visit their website, www.greenheartshop.org.
Posted on June 8th, 2015 No comments
Summer is an exciting time in Chicago! From street fests to the lakefront, there’s countless outdoor activities for guests to explore. This weekend, the city will host its 32nd Annual Chicago Blues Festival. What’s best – the headliner is Buddy Guy, a Chicago legend.
The Chicago Blues Festival is the largest free blues festival in the world and remains the largest of Chicago’s Music Festivals. During three days on five stages, more than 500,000 blues fans prove that Chicago is the “Blues Capital of the World.”
Admission is free and takes place in Chicago’s Grant Park from June 12-14. To learn more, visit the City of Chicago’s website here.
Have fun! Enjoy summer!