Posted on March 30th, 2016 No comments
We have exciting news: B.O.S.S. Magazine, otherwise known as “Be Your Own Success Story,” has featured our hotel as one of the top environmentally-friendly hotels in the United States.
We pride ourselves as being the first hotel in the city of Chicago to be Silver LEED certified, and it’s a great thing to see that our hard work and passion isn’t going unnoticed.
The article features our sustainable artwork:
“Recycled carpets and cork and bamboo flooring are incorporated throughout the hotel. There is an enhanced energy management system, which allows the director of engineering to log in
and control energy systems anywhere in the hotel,” writes Nicola Batchelor.
Not only was our artwork highlighted in the magazine, but our linen re-use program. Nicola writes,”The linen re-use program at The Felix means linens are washed at guests’ request rather than everyday as standard. This has resulted in average savings of 45,000 gallons of water and 32,500 gallons of detergent per year. More than 1 million gallons of water will be saved through the property’s water reduction program this year.”
If you’re interested in reading the rest of the article, click here. The full issue will be available in print later this month.
Source: B.O.S.S. Magazine
Posted on March 29th, 2016 No comments
Earth Month is the annual reminder for many travelers to consider new green practices. Here at Hotel Felix, we commit to reducing our carbon footprint year round and Earth Month is a celebration of our ongoing green efforts.
This April, we will offer eco-friendly activities and discounts for like-minded travelers. Guests and Chicagoans can take advantage of the following incentives throughout Earth Month:
- Scrappy’s Green Tips – and a new Sidekick: Scrappy, a larger-than-life sustainable dog sculpture outside our hotel, will offer his eco-friendly tips throughout Earth Month on social media with #ScrappyTips. He also will have a new sidekick in Troy Murray, Director of Front Office, as he takes on the role of the hotel’s new green ambassador. The always-vibrant Murray will share four videos online showcasing the hotel’s eco-friendly offerings. Green enthusiasts can find both Troy’s videos and Scrappy’s green tips on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram throughout Earth Month.
- Stay Green and Save Green: During Earth Month, all guests who book new reservations via our website will receive 22 percent off the best available rate in April. This offer is available for new reservations only in April 2016.
- Green Groups Save Green: During Earth Month, eco-friendly group bookings will receive 22 percent off the best available rate if they show proof of their environmental practices, such as their recycling program or car-sharing services. This special discount is available only for new group bookings in April and May 2016. For inquiries, please contact Marianne Encarnado, Area Director of Sales and Marketing, at 312-447-2950.
- Be Green and Tweet Green: During Earth Month, we are excited to launch a Twitter giveaway to inspire its eco-friendly followers to tweet green activities throughout the month. From recycling more to riding bikes to work, all green enthusiasts can tweet with how they’re being green for a chance to win a two night stay at Hotel Felix. The person who tweets their green efforts the most during April to @hotelfelix with hashtag #GreenFelix will win a complimentary two-night stay. Management will determine if there is a tie. The giveaway starts at 10 a.m., April 1 and runs until April 30 at 5 p.m. CT. The winner will be announced the week of May 2.
“We are continually excited for Earth Month because we feel Hotel Felix is a great example of how we can encourage travelers to reduce their carbon footprints and improve our environment,” said George Jordan, Area General Manager of Hotel Felix Chicago and Senior Vice President of Oxford Hotels & Resorts.
To learn more about our hotel, please visit www.hotelfelixchicago.com.
Posted on March 10th, 2016 No comments
You often hear about a variety of different bustling neighborhoods in the city of Chicago, whether that may be Lincoln Park, Wrigleyville or River North. We certainly love River North and proudly call that neighborhood “home.” And just steps away from our neighborhood is the West Loop, which has a vibrant scene to enjoy for a night out.
Taken from WestLoop.org, “The West Loop is known for its award-winning restaurants, burgeoning art gallery district, boutiques and unique residential loft-style living. Some have compared the area to New York City’s SoHo, the West Loop is one of the fastest growing neighborhoods in Chicago – but it wasn’t always this way. Long before the Chicago fire of 1871, the Near West Side was still very much redeveloping and had stark contrasts with the way people lived and worked in the area.
Today, the West Loop is home to a few great spots and popular attractions that we recommend visiting, including but not limited to:
- Its own City Winery: Home to a variety of wine, food and live music.
- The infamous Chicago landmark, Union Station: a mecca for state and country wide transportation as well as home to banquet halls and shops.
- Randolph Street Market: This weekend festival with over 200 vendors happens during the last weekend of every month and even moves outside once the weather permits!
If you’re looking to satisfy your appetite, become immersed in culture, or relax with a glass of wine, the West Loop is the right neighborhood for you.
For more information on things to do in the West Loop, check out this article in Time Out Chicago.
Photo Credit: istockphoto.com/tupungato
Posted on March 3rd, 2016 No comments
Great news: Spring is (almost) here! While there might be a dusting of snow on the ground, we are ready for it – and ready to offer you a discounted stay no matter the weather.
What better way to bid adieu to the Chicago winter than celebrate the start of the new season with a hotel deal? Chicago is beautiful in any season, but here at Hotel Felix, we’ve been counting down the days until spring arrives and there’s sunshine in the streets again.
Book a hotel room with us now and stay by April 30, 2016 to receive 20 percent off of our best available rate. That’s an excellent travel deal that we hope you’ll take advantage of. Plus, it’s a great cure for spring fever!
Photo credit to istockphoto.com/Mshake
Click here to book now.
And, Chicago is a great place to visit during the spring. Check out our recent blog posts for other suggestions what to do in Chicago, such as St. Patrick’s Day, the River North Donut Fest, Cheesetopia and more.
Let’s all welcome spring together!
Posted on February 25th, 2016 No comments
Have you ever dreamed of eating all Chicago’s best donuts – all at once? Well, River North Donut Fest was the event made for you. On Saturday, April 2, attend the Donut Fest at Old Crow Smokehouse in River North to sample all of Chicago’s best donuts, long-johns, and other sugary treats.
Tickets are $50 and includes:
- A FREE ride (up to $30) from Uber with promo code ‘CTS30′
- $25 in FREE food and drink from Spring Rewards when you use promo code ‘CHI25′
- $10 in FREE delivery food from DoorDash with promo code ‘CTS10′
- $15 in healthy, organic meals delivered from Sprig with promo code ’15FREE’
- A FREE $10 gift card from Target, Macy’s or Walmart with $25 purchase using EBATES!
- $20 credit towards your dining experience from Reserve with promo code ‘CHI20′
- $30 in on-demand dog walking & cat sitting from UrbanLeash with promo code ‘CHI20′
- $10 in dry cleaning from Dryv with promo code ‘CHI20′ Dryv will pick up and drop off your clothes on demand! *Offers valid for first time users only and subject to change without notice.
For more information and to purchase tickets, click here.
Posted on February 23rd, 2016 No comments
Cheese lovers, rejoice! On April 10, Chicago will be hosting its first ever Cheesetopia Fest at Bridgeport Air Center. More than 40 Midwest cheese producers will be present at the event, sampling and selling their products for festival attendees.
Cheesetopia’s first year was held in 2015 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and is organized by Wisconsin cheese manufacturer Roth Cheese and Jeanne Carpenter. It’s no secret Wisconsin is known for its love of cheese and we’re excited that Cheesetopia is headed to Chicago.
Photo by Cheesetopia.com
Tickets are $75 and includes access to an open bar that features complimentary beer, wine and soda.
For more information and to purchase tickets, visit Cheesetopia’s website.
If you’re heading into town for the event, you can book a room to stay with us. Visit our website here to book.
Posted on February 18th, 2016 No comments
There are a variety of activities to check out during St. Patrick’s Day weekend. Despite the fact that the actual holiday lands on a Thursday this year, that won’t stop you from having the ultimate St. Patrick’s Day celebration here in Chicago.
Head to Grant Park on Saturday, March 12 to experience the annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade. There, you’ll find a number of bagpipes, dancers, and more. Not to mention that the parade is entirely free to the public.
The parade kicks off at Columbus and Balbo drive at 12 p.m. and will conclude at Monroe Street. If you’re especially interested in getting a good viewing spot, make sure to show up a couple hours early with a folding chair and plenty of snacks. For more information, visit Time Out Chicago.
Make sure to dress comfortably with great walking shoes and extra layers. The weather is unpredictable at this time of the year and while you may be warm in the sun, that can change quickly once the sun is hidden behind clouds or the skyscrapers downtown.
Photo Credit: istockphoto.com/stu99
Don’t forget to wear green!
Posted on February 11th, 2016 No comments
Fridays are perfect for live music! Troquet River North, the restaurant adjacent to our lobby, has a special night of music and great drink specials every Friday.
From 8-11 p.m. every Friday night through April, you can purchase the Town Branch Flight for just $25, which includes TB Pearce Lyon Reserve, TB Bourbon, TB Rye, and Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale. There are also $8 moonshine and bourbon cocktails as well.
Troquet River North has arranged a great lineup of live performers as well – following is the complete list to date:
February 12th – Rob Anderlik
February 19th – Ben Barefoot
February 26th – Coyote Riot
March 4th – Dime Store String Band
March 11th – Crazy Heart
March 18th – Eric Lambert
March 25th – Laura Joy
April 1st – Robert Rolfe Fedderson
April 8th – Jaik Willis
April 15th – Ben Barefort & the Handshakes
April 22nd – Trillium
April 29th – Bourbon Aristocracy
We hope to see you at Troquet for Folk Fridays soon! Cheers!
Posted on February 9th, 2016 No comments
Every year, we celebrate Fat Tuesday – also known as Mardi Gras – with our entire team. Everyone working is invited to join in on a delicious (and big!) feast.
This year, Troquet, the restaurant adjacent to our lobby, created a unique menu again for us complete with gumbo, cornbread and honey butter. Is your mouth watering yet?
Plus, in true Mardi Gras and Fat Tuesday tradition, we had a King Cake where one baby was hidden in it. As the tradition goes, whoever eats the piece of cake with the baby in it, is then crowned the “king” or “queen” of the celebration. Marissa Kuck, our director of human resources and accounting, had the slice of cake with the baby in there. This also symbolizes luck and fortune but what she doesn’t know is that it also means she’s responsible for buying next year’s cake! We’ll see if she abides to tradition… or maybe we’ll let her off the hook!
Here’s Marissa as “Queen for the Day.”
Fat Tuesday is a fun time to gather the team and enjoy a great lunch – following are a few more photos from the afternoon:
Happy Fat Tuesday!
Posted on February 4th, 2016 No comments
Time to relax and unwind! Here at Hotel Felix, we strive to give you the best experience when you visit our hotel and the exciting city of Chicago. After a long day at a work conference, hectic travel or even just shopping on Michigan Avenue, the perfect way to end the day is at our Spa Boutique. Guests often say a little spat time eases away all the stress and worries.
This February, we’re wishing you much love and tranquility with all that you find meaningful. We have a number of wonderful treatment options depending on your spa preferences: Massages, facials, nails or waxing. To see a full listing of our treatments, simply click here
A few of our spa specials include:
This deeply relaxing treatment features long, connective strokes designed to soothe and ease fatigue and calms the nervous system.
Pure Results Facial:
This active organic facial uses a high performance enzyme peel to target the signs of aging, plump and firm the skin and reduce fine lines.
Upgrades to treatments:
Eye Contour Treatment: This facial add-on will reduce puffiness, fine lines and under eye discoloration.
Body Melt Stone Therapy:
Soothing hot stones create a delicious and penetrating effect on fatigued and achy muscles.
We hope you’ll find tranquility and relaxation when visiting our Spa Boutique. To learn more or make a reservation, please call 312-256-8000. Our spa welcomes guests of the hotel along with local area Chicagoans as well.
Relaxation awaits at the Spa Boutique!