Posted on May 26th, 2015 No comments
It’s gorgeous outside – Chicago is beautiful this time of year.
Here are seven Chicago outdoor activities that are sure to please every traveler.
- The Chicago Park District website is full of information on locations, events and programs. Maybe you’re looking to take in a jazz concert or theatre production at the park? If you’re visiting Chicago, you’re in the right place.
- Book an architecture tour. By boat or on foot, these tours get you out in the sunshine while you learn something about the Windy City. Tours are available via the Chicago Architecture Foundation, Wendella Boats, or Shoreline Sightseeing.
- Visit the Lincoln Park Zoo. Free to the public, this zoo is open 365 days a year and now features an adorable baby gorilla born in February 2015.
- Sail on a pirate ship! The Tall Ship Windy at Navy Pier is a one-of-a-kind experience. Guides share long-lost stories of Lake Michigan as you take in a truly unique view of the Chicago skyline.
- This is a constant for us – Divvy bikes! You can’t go wrong with docks located all over the city and gorgeous lakefront paths. Remember, return your bike to a dock every 30 minutes to “check in” and avoid fees. One code is valid for 24 hours.
- Register for a 5k. Running is good for your health, yes, but Chicago races allow for amazing views of the water or downtown. Check out the Chicago Area Running Association (CARA) website for an updated race calendar.
- Visit Millennium Park and Cloud Gate! Even long-time Chicagoans can enjoy seeing double by the sculpture lovingly known as “The Bean.” Check out the City of Chicago website for this and other sculptures in the area. This is a great way to fill up your Instagram with memorable pics!
Have a great spring outdoors in Chicago! Good for your health, your mind and your spirit.CAF, chicago, Chicago Architecture Foundation, Cloud Gate, Divvy, divvy bikes, eco-friendly, Eco-Friendly Hotel, green, hotel, Hotel Felix, hotel felix chicago, LEED, lincoln park zoo, millennium park, outdoor, outdoor activities, outside, Shoreline Sightseeing, Silver LEED certified, spring, Tall Ship Windy, travel, Wendella Boats
Posted on May 21st, 2015 No comments
A new travel deal just for you!
Feel your sun-drenched skin as you enjoy a walk on the sandy shores of Lake Michigan. Let the wind caress your sun-kissed hair as you relish a Ferris Wheel ride at Navy Pier. Quench your sunbaked thirst with a long, tall glass of icy lemonade in front of Millennium Park. End your sun-filled day with an intimate dinner at Troquet, our friendly and hip French-inspired Bistro and Bar, located on site.
So just for you, we created a SUMMER SIZZLE SPECIAL*! Book now through July 31, 2015 and stay through August 31, 2015 and receive 20 percent off our best available rates. Use promo code “SIZZLE” and savor a “sun-sational” experience in Chicago.
Chicago is gorgeous in the summertime so you won’t want to miss this offer.
Some like it hot. We like it sizzling!
*Certain restrictions apply. Requires cancellation 24 hours prior arrival to avoid one night’s room and tax fees. To learn more, contact Denise Howlett, Area Director of Revenue, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted on May 6th, 2015 No comments
What an honor! The Fashion Spot created a list of the best green hotels to reduce your carbon footprint when traveling and we’re honored to be on the list.
Planning a vacation or looking for a green hotel when traveling on business? We’re proud to be Chicago’s first Silver LEED certified hotel in town.
Details from The Fashion Spot:
“Located in the Windy City, Hotel Felix is making the environment and its guests happy around the clock. From “Loren the Doorman,” a 7-foot-tall statue made of recycled pipes that greets guests to fair trade coffees and chocolates for guests to indulge in whenever they please, there’s something (eco-friendly) for everyone…”
Read more at The Fashion Spot – our hotel is number six on the list, which you can see here.
Then click around their sites for recommendations on fashion, wellness, beauty and more.
Posted on May 1st, 2015 2 comments
We thought that might get your attention! Show us your Chicago spirit on our Facebook page for a chance to win a complimentary night stay with us – Hotel Felix, Chicago’s first Silver LEED certified and eco-friendly hotel. Yes, a chance to win a free night stay with us!
To enter our contest, “Like” our Facebook page and share a photo that showcases the style, the taste and the form of our very own, Windy City.
Need inspiration? The Chicago River. The Bean at Millennium Park. The Bulls at United Center. The Art Institute. Navy Pier. Chicago’s famous deep dish pizza. The possibilities are endless, whether you are scientifically minded, artistically inclined, architecturally driven or just one happy camper!
Be creative and capture THE moment. We can’t wait to see your photos – you can enter May 1 – May 31, 2015. Just share them in the Facebook post about the contest or on our Facebook page. Hotel Management will decide the winner on June 1, 2015.
Contest runs from May 1 – 31, 2015. Winner will be announced on June 1, 2015 and selected by the hotel management. Some blackout dates apply. For more information and details, go to www.facebook.com/hotelfelix. You can also visit the Happy.Naturally blog at www.happynaturally.com.
Posted on April 23rd, 2015 No comments
Chicago’s spring has been unseasonably cold this year, but there are still ways for you to liven up your garden. Don’t be afraid to bundle up and get out there! According to Better Homes and Gardens, perennials such as bigroot geraniums, toad lilies, ajuga, old-fashioned bleeding heart and more are shade-loving plants and can survive even during a cold spring. Their colors are just as vibrant as you would expect in 70-degree weather.
Still needing inspiration? Beginning in April, the American Flower Show Series at the Chicago Botanic Garden offers events surrounding flowers like daffodils, violets and dahlias. You can even register for a bonsai workshop.
Click here for a full list of events at the Chicago Botanic Garden for Spring 2015.
Posted on April 21st, 2015 No comments
Earth Month is well underway and we’re loving the green tips we’re receiving via Twitter with hashtag #GreenFelix.
Have you shared any tips yet? If not, there’s still time to enter the contest. Whether you are recycling your water bottle after lunch, drinking coffee from a reusable mug, biking to work, ride-sharing, or anything else that’s eco-friendly, we want to hear from you.
To enter, simply tweet your green activities to @HotelFelix with hashtag #GreenFelix. You can tweet as much as you’d like until 5 p.m. CST on April 30. The person who tweets the most has a chance to win a complimentary night stay at Hotel Felix. Easy and fun! Please note that management will determine if there is a tie and certainly an extra photo or two with your tweets help.
Keep the tweets coming! Happy Earth Month from Hotel Felix!
Posted on April 13th, 2015 No comments
Here at Hotel Felix, we are celebrating Earth Month throughout April as Chicago’s first Silver LEED certified hotel. In addition, our friends at the Greenheart Shop have a few great specials through April, including a trunk show with us on Earth Day, April 22.
On Earth Day, celebrate in green style by shopping at Greenheart Shop’s Trunk Show on Hotel Felix’ mezzanine. From 10 a.m.-3 p.m., April 22, guests and Chicagoans can view their new line of green products, including their sustainably-sourced Peruvian wood serving dishes and get a sneak peek of what Greenheart has in their full store. All Hotel Felix guests will receive 20 percent off all merchandise in store throughout April with proof of hotel key.
Then, on April 24, we encourage you to participate in the Fashion Revolution Day. Join Greenheart as they commemorate this annual global movement honoring those that were lost in the Rana Plaza Bangladeshi Factory collapse in 2013. Join in the conversation on social media using the hashtag “#InsideOut.” In addition, if you follow the Greenheart Shop on Twitter and Instagram at @Greenheartshop or use “#InsideOut” you will receive 20 percent off all clothing in store.
The Greenheart Shop is located at 1714 N. Wells Street. For more information visit www.greenheartshop.org or follow the Greenheart Shop on Twitter and Instagram at @Greenheartshop.
And remember, come check out the Trunk Show at our mezzanine on Earth Day!
Posted on April 2nd, 2015 No comments
Earth Month is here! During the month of April, we at Hotel Felix celebrate with green and eco-friendly activities and events for guests and Chicagoans alike. As Hotel Felix continues to reduce its carbon footprint, we want to encourage our guests and followers to do the same. In particular, Hotel Felix will hold a Twitter contest to encourage our eco-friendly followers to tweet green activities throughout April. Whether you are recycling your water bottle after lunch, drinking out of a reusable travel mug, biking to work, ride-sharing, or anything else that’s green, we want to hear from you.
The person who tweets their green activities to @HotelFelix with hashtag #GreenFelix the most has a chance to win a complimentary night stay at Hotel Felix! The contest runs until April 30 at 5p.m. CST. The person who tweets the most will win. Please note that management will determine if there is a tie and certainly an extra photo or two with your tweets help.
We cannot wait to see all the great green activities you participate in on a daily basis. Good luck, and Happy Earth Month from all of us at Hotel Felix!
Posted on April 1st, 2015 No comments
Happy Earth Month from your friends at Hotel Felix! As Chicago’s first Silver LEED hotel, we love celebrating Earth Month all month long. We will celebrate Earth Month with green and eco-friendly activities and events for our guests and Chicagoans. We continue to reduce our carbon footprint and encourage everyone to do the same.
During April, we are thrilled to announce the following activities for eco-friendly ways to get involved:
– Earth Day, Earth Stay: On April 8, starting at 12 p.m., the annual discounted Earth Day room rate of just $20.15 (exclusive of the Chicago hotel tax), will be available to people who will reserve a room for an overnight stay on Earth Day, April 22, 2015. Guests are encouraged to visit
www.hotelfelixchicago.com and use the online promo code EARTH. The offer is available to the first five reservations. Don’t procrastinate – this deal will definitely go fast.
– Green Deals from Divvy for Hotel Felix Guests: On Earth Day, Divvy will give hotel guests free 24-Hour Passes to take advantage of their bike-sharing service. Plus, they will offer a discounted rate on the 24-Hour Pass throughout the month to all Hotel Felix guests. And, Chicagoans and guests should be on the lookout for additional complimentary prizes each week via social media from Divvy and Hotel Felix. Divvy is an ideal way to explore the city of Chicago with 300+ stations throughout the city. To learn more about Divvy, please visit DivvyBikes.com.
– Scrappy’s Green Tips: Scrappy, one of the larger-than-life sustainable sculptures at Hotel Felix, will offer his eco-friendly tips throughout Earth Month. Scrappy’s tips are both practical and humorous but most importantly – always green. As examples, Scrappy recommends unplugging chargers and devices when they’re not in use. He also advocates walking whenever possible or taking public transportation. Guests can find Scrappy’s Green Tips on Twitter (www.twitter.com/hotelfelix) throughout Earth Month with hashtag #ScrappyTips.
– Be Green and Tweet Green: Hotel Felix will host a Twitter contest during Earth Month to encourage its eco-friendly followers to tweet green activities throughout the month. Green enthusiasts can tweet all month long with information on how they are being green, such as recycling their water bottle after lunch, drinking out of reusable travel mugs, biking to work, ride-sharing, etc. The person who tweets their green activities to @hotelfelix with hashtag #GreenFelix the most wins a complimentary night stay at Hotel Felix Chicago. Management will determine if there is a tie. The contest starts at 10 a.m., April 1 and runs until April 30 at 5 p.m. CT.
– Green Groups Save Green: During Earth Month, eco-friendly group bookings will receive 20 percent off the best available rate if they show proof of their environmental practices. This special discount is available only for new group bookings in April and May 2015. For inquiries, please contact Marianne Encarnado, Area Director of Sales and Marketing, at 312-447-2950.
- Green Shopping Galore: On Earth Day, celebrate in green style by shopping at Greenheart Shop’s Trunk Show on Hotel Felix’ mezzanine. From 10-3 p.m., April 22, guests and Chicagoans can view their new line of green products, including their sustainably-sourced Peruvian wood serving dishes and get a sneak peek of what Greenheart has in their full store. All Hotel Felix guests will receive 20 percent off all merchandise in store throughout April with proof of hotel key.
More about Hotel Felix
As Chicago’s first hotel awarded Silver LEED certification, Hotel Felix (111 W. Huron) delivers an enriching experience that not only benefits the guests, but the environment as well. Hotel Felix opened in April 2009 after an extensive redevelopment of a 1926 building using organic materials and renewable resources. The 225-room boutique hotel is conveniently located just steps from the Magnificent Mile and The Loop, surrounded by many of Chicago’s renowned attractions, popular restaurants, bars and world-class entertainment.
To learn more about Hotel Felix Chicago, please visit www.hotelfelixchicago.com.
Posted on March 29th, 2015 No comments
Last night, we celebrated Earth Hour. What’s Earth Hour you might ask? The goal is to unite millions of people across the planet for one hour in support of the environment.
From 8:30-9:30 p.m., everyone is to turn out their lights and reduce their carbon footprint. This is done on six continents across the globe and everyone does it in their local time zone. At Hotel Felix, we turned off all our non-emergency lights in the public spaces, such as the lobby as seen below.
Following are photos from last night’s Earth Hour. Thank you to all who participated!