Posted on June 16th, 2015 No comments
Three-peat! Last night, the Chicago Blackhawks won the 2015 Stanley Cup finals, beating the Tampa Bay Lightning, 2-0.
This is the third Stanley Cup victory for the Chicago Blackhawks in six years. What’s best – they won on our home ice this time, making the win even sweeter. Chicago – ever the town for sports enthusiasts – is buzzing with excitement and Mayor Rahm Emmanuel has promised a “world-class” celebration and parade for Thursday, June 18 in Chicago.
We’re very happy for the city, the players and the loyal fans. Congratulations, Chicago Blackhawks! #OneGoal #BecuaseItsTheCup
Posted on June 15th, 2015 No comments
Farmer’s markets are quite popular in Chicago – and a “must see” when visiting our city. It’s a great way to get a snack or some fresh produce from a local farm and learn about what produce is in season. The city’s largest Farmer’s Market – Green City Market – is just a short DIVVY Bike from our hotel.
The market is open to the public on Wednesday and Saturday mornings and more than 50 vendors have their best produce, food, flower and more available for purchase. Plus, there’s a number of “prepared” foods to try for a breakfast or a snack, including crepes, tamales, grilled cheese sandwiches and more.
Chicago Magazine recently shared the best of the best at Green City Market. Learn more in their article here.
Posted on June 10th, 2015 No comments
Here at Hotel Felix, we love being based in a city with a variety of eco-friendly businesses. One of our personal favorites is the Greenheart Shop.
Located at 1714 N. Wells Street, the Greenheart Shop has devoted itself to fair trade practices since 2007. Their mission is simple: provide a shopping experience that supports fair trade, eco-friendly products, and local social enterprises. When you choose to shop fair trade at Greenheart your purchase supports community development projects, safe working conditions, and sustainable environmental practices. Not to mention a perfect gift for yourself or loved ones back home!
The Greenheart Shop also prides itself on stocking a wide variety of products. Including but not limited to clothing, home decor, children’s items, and accessories. In addition, the Greenheart Shop features an “Artisan of the Month” on their website to showcase different fair trade artisans from around the world. So the next time you need a gift, a pick me up, or a little stylish inspiration, we hope you’ll visit our friends at the Greenheart Shop.
For more information on the Greenheart Shop visit their website, www.greenheartshop.org.
Posted on June 8th, 2015 No comments
Summer is an exciting time in Chicago! From street fests to the lakefront, there’s countless outdoor activities for guests to explore. This weekend, the city will host its 32nd Annual Chicago Blues Festival. What’s best – the headliner is Buddy Guy, a Chicago legend.
The Chicago Blues Festival is the largest free blues festival in the world and remains the largest of Chicago’s Music Festivals. During three days on five stages, more than 500,000 blues fans prove that Chicago is the “Blues Capital of the World.”
Admission is free and takes place in Chicago’s Grant Park from June 12-14. To learn more, visit the City of Chicago’s website here.
Have fun! Enjoy summer!
Posted on May 28th, 2015 No comments
Summer is here, and Chicago is ready! But how can you enjoy the season in an eco-friendly way?
- Visit the Chicago Botanic Garden and check out their Butterflies exhibit running through Sept. 7. Visitors can immerse themselves in an exhibit of live butterflies. Click here to learn more – tickets must be purchased in advance.
- Plan a trip to the Garfield Park Conservatory. The Fern Room and the Desert House are open again after a celebration on Earth Day. Click here to visit the website and learn about ongoing events.
- Use this online guide by Backpacker Magazine to find an exciting hike in the Chicagoland area. You’ll be surprised that you can find natural wonders like glacier-carved moraines and waterfalls so close to a major metropolis.
- Rent a Divvy bike and enjoy the city! With so many lakeside paths and Divvy docks set up all over the city, this is a great, eco-friendly way to explore during your holiday. Remember, your bike has to be “checked in” at a dock every 30 minutes to avoid fees, but your Divvy code is valid for 24 hours.
- Dine at an eco-friendly restaurant. In this Choose Chicago article, five establishments are identified as the perfect places for eating green.
Remember to take a look at our eco-friendly amenities, making Hotel Felix the first green eco-friendly hotel in Chicago with Silver LEED certification.
Posted on May 26th, 2015 No comments
It’s gorgeous outside – Chicago is beautiful this time of year.
Here are seven Chicago outdoor activities that are sure to please every traveler.
- The Chicago Park District website is full of information on locations, events and programs. Maybe you’re looking to take in a jazz concert or theatre production at the park? If you’re visiting Chicago, you’re in the right place.
- Book an architecture tour. By boat or on foot, these tours get you out in the sunshine while you learn something about the Windy City. Tours are available via the Chicago Architecture Foundation, Wendella Boats, or Shoreline Sightseeing.
- Visit the Lincoln Park Zoo. Free to the public, this zoo is open 365 days a year and now features an adorable baby gorilla born in February 2015.
- Sail on a pirate ship! The Tall Ship Windy at Navy Pier is a one-of-a-kind experience. Guides share long-lost stories of Lake Michigan as you take in a truly unique view of the Chicago skyline.
- This is a constant for us – Divvy bikes! You can’t go wrong with docks located all over the city and gorgeous lakefront paths. Remember, return your bike to a dock every 30 minutes to “check in” and avoid fees. One code is valid for 24 hours.
- Register for a 5k. Running is good for your health, yes, but Chicago races allow for amazing views of the water or downtown. Check out the Chicago Area Running Association (CARA) website for an updated race calendar.
- Visit Millennium Park and Cloud Gate! Even long-time Chicagoans can enjoy seeing double by the sculpture lovingly known as “The Bean.” Check out the City of Chicago website for this and other sculptures in the area. This is a great way to fill up your Instagram with memorable pics!
Have a great spring outdoors in Chicago! Good for your health, your mind and your spirit.CAF, chicago, Chicago Architecture Foundation, Cloud Gate, Divvy, divvy bikes, eco-friendly, Eco-Friendly Hotel, green, hotel, Hotel Felix, hotel felix chicago, LEED, lincoln park zoo, millennium park, outdoor, outdoor activities, outside, Shoreline Sightseeing, Silver LEED certified, spring, Tall Ship Windy, travel, Wendella Boats
Posted on May 21st, 2015 No comments
A new travel deal just for you!
Feel your sun-drenched skin as you enjoy a walk on the sandy shores of Lake Michigan. Let the wind caress your sun-kissed hair as you relish a Ferris Wheel ride at Navy Pier. Quench your sunbaked thirst with a long, tall glass of icy lemonade in front of Millennium Park. End your sun-filled day with an intimate dinner at Troquet, our friendly and hip French-inspired Bistro and Bar, located on site.
So just for you, we created a SUMMER SIZZLE SPECIAL*! Book now through July 31, 2015 and stay through August 31, 2015 and receive 20 percent off our best available rates. Use promo code “SIZZLE” and savor a “sun-sational” experience in Chicago.
Chicago is gorgeous in the summertime so you won’t want to miss this offer.
Some like it hot. We like it sizzling!
*Certain restrictions apply. Requires cancellation 24 hours prior arrival to avoid one night’s room and tax fees. To learn more, contact Denise Howlett, Area Director of Revenue, at email@example.com.
Posted on May 6th, 2015 No comments
What an honor! The Fashion Spot created a list of the best green hotels to reduce your carbon footprint when traveling and we’re honored to be on the list.
Planning a vacation or looking for a green hotel when traveling on business? We’re proud to be Chicago’s first Silver LEED certified hotel in town.
Details from The Fashion Spot:
“Located in the Windy City, Hotel Felix is making the environment and its guests happy around the clock. From “Loren the Doorman,” a 7-foot-tall statue made of recycled pipes that greets guests to fair trade coffees and chocolates for guests to indulge in whenever they please, there’s something (eco-friendly) for everyone…”
Read more at The Fashion Spot – our hotel is number six on the list, which you can see here.
Then click around their sites for recommendations on fashion, wellness, beauty and more.
Posted on May 1st, 2015 2 comments
We thought that might get your attention! Show us your Chicago spirit on our Facebook page for a chance to win a complimentary night stay with us – Hotel Felix, Chicago’s first Silver LEED certified and eco-friendly hotel. Yes, a chance to win a free night stay with us!
To enter our contest, “Like” our Facebook page and share a photo that showcases the style, the taste and the form of our very own, Windy City.
Need inspiration? The Chicago River. The Bean at Millennium Park. The Bulls at United Center. The Art Institute. Navy Pier. Chicago’s famous deep dish pizza. The possibilities are endless, whether you are scientifically minded, artistically inclined, architecturally driven or just one happy camper!
Be creative and capture THE moment. We can’t wait to see your photos – you can enter May 1 – May 31, 2015. Just share them in the Facebook post about the contest or on our Facebook page. Hotel Management will decide the winner on June 1, 2015.
Contest runs from May 1 – 31, 2015. Winner will be announced on June 1, 2015 and selected by the hotel management. Some blackout dates apply. For more information and details, go to www.facebook.com/hotelfelix. You can also visit the Happy.Naturally blog at www.happynaturally.com.
Posted on April 23rd, 2015 No comments
Chicago’s spring has been unseasonably cold this year, but there are still ways for you to liven up your garden. Don’t be afraid to bundle up and get out there! According to Better Homes and Gardens, perennials such as bigroot geraniums, toad lilies, ajuga, old-fashioned bleeding heart and more are shade-loving plants and can survive even during a cold spring. Their colors are just as vibrant as you would expect in 70-degree weather.
Still needing inspiration? Beginning in April, the American Flower Show Series at the Chicago Botanic Garden offers events surrounding flowers like daffodils, violets and dahlias. You can even register for a bonsai workshop.
Click here for a full list of events at the Chicago Botanic Garden for Spring 2015.