Posted on March 27th, 2013 2 comments
We will roll out the green carpet with free eco-friendly events and activities for Chicagoans and guests alike.
The Earth Month activities include but are not limited to:
• Earth Day, Earth Stay: To kick off Earth Month on April 1, Hotel Felix will offer an exclusive Earth Day room rate of $20.13 plus tax for the first 10 people who book a room for Earth Day, April 22, online using promo code EARTH. The option to book will start at 12 p.m., April 1 and the exclusive rate is only available to stay on April 22 (Earth Day). The rate is based on availability and do not include sales tax. These green steals are bound to go fast and interested guests are encouraged to be ready to book starting at noon, April 1 at www.hotelfelixchicago.com.
• Pop-up Yoga Studio: Hotel Felix is pleased to welcome the talented instructors of Elate Yoga (http://www.elateyoga.com) to the hotel this Earth Month. Every Wednesday in April at 6:30 p.m., Elate Yoga will offer free yoga classes to Chicagoans and hotel guests of all skill levels. Reservations are not required but strongly encouraged, as space is limited. For questions or to reserve a spot, please email Elate Yoga at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 312-772-6459.
• Support Friends of the Chicago River: Hotel Felix will partner with Alexandra Gnoske, a leading environmentalist in Chicago, to support the Friends of the Chicago River. Hotel Felix will sell Gnoske’s limited quantity “Recycle Me” shirts for just $15 each while supplies last. All proceeds will benefit Friends of the Chicago River, a nonprofit committed to preserving and protecting the river.
• Debut of Environmental Captains: This April, Hotel Felix will feature the hotel’s first Environmental Captains. Hotel Felix is proud to name the first two Environmental Captains, Troy Murray and Noemi Rodriguez. This honor is bestowed upon them as they demonstrated their passion and commitment to Hotel Felix’ sustainable practices. Murray and Rodriguez will be responsible for overseeing the hotel’s green efforts, including recycling, use of USGBC-approved cleaning supplies and more.
• Our Photogenic Family: The hotel is the proud permanent home to a larger-than-life family of three sustainable art sculptures, who reside right outside the front entrance. These eco-friendly works of art, created by sculptor Allen Christian of House of Balls, (http://houseofballs.com/) have landed at Hotel Felix one-by-one each year over the past three Earth Days. This Earth Month, guests and Chicagoans are invited to see, photograph and enjoy them all month long.
We’re excited for Earth Month to start on Monday! We’ll be sharing more updates and photos throughout the month.
Posted on April 30th, 2010 2 comments
Behind every piece of artwork there is story. Some stories are more worth telling then others - the Hotel Felix is really proud to share the story of our newest piece of sustainable art by Allen Christian.
Allen is a artist and sculptor who believes in animism, the idea that non-living objects have souls or spirits. Allen uses found items to create his masterpieces and believes each item he finds has it’s own personal history that contributes to it beauty. (Read more about Allen’s philosophy here.)
Loren the Doorman really embodies Allen’s artistic philosophy. The sculpture was created out of found objects from Allen’s friend Loren, who passed away in 2009. During his lifetime, Loren was a great collector of odd objects and after his passing, Allen and friends gathered Loren’s objects with the intention of using them in their artwork.
Loren the Doorman is made of up a plasma cut milk bucket, umbrella stand, pipes from a pneumatic tube company, and core drill bit. The word “taxi” is carved out on the torso in Old English script and on either side of the script are eight musical keys – guests can use the mallet to play a tune or call for a taxi!
Allen says of this piece, “I feel quite blessed to have been given the opportunity and to have him greet the hotel guests as they enter.”
Posted on April 22nd, 2010 1 comment
The Hotel Felix is excited to wish everyone a Happy Earth Day! We hope you take the time to stop by this afternoon and enjoy several of special Earth Day events.
• 360SEE Gallery display in the lobby
• Allen Christian’s Elmer the Art Car & Loren the Doorman
• Tesla Roadster on display and ready for a test drive
• TreeTini -portion of this cocktail’s proceeds goes towards planting new trees
Posted on April 21st, 2010 3 comments
We’re bursting at the seams, we’re so excited for Earth Day tomorrow. If you’ve been proactive (and we know you have been!) and already sipped a TreeTini while admiring the 360SEE Gallery art in the hotel lobby and taken the Tesla Roadster for a spin, you may be wondering what else you can do for Earth Day? Well, the Hotel Felix has got you covered, covered in paint that is…OK sort of!
Elmer the Art Car will be on display outside the hotel starting tomorrow April 22 until April 24. Elmer is 1966 pick-up truck decorated in recycled materials and uniquely painted by sculptor Allen Christian. Once you’re outside, go enjoy the sunshine and check out some of the other Earth Day events in the neighborhood. You can find a listing of local events here.