Posted on April 15th, 2014 No comments
“At NASDA we are in the trade show business in an unusual way. We work in concert with USDA’s Foreign Agricultural Service to create international trade opportunities for U.S. companies in the food business. This has led us into partnership with FMI (the Food Marketing Institute) and NRA (the National Restaurant Association) over the past fifteen years, and, as a result lots of time in Chicago.
We have housing needs for our staff, for international visitors, and occasionally the staff of our members. But the thing we need most is flexibility. Marianne Encarnado and the rest of the sales staff at the Hotel Felix have consistently gone out of their way to accommodate our basic needs and our need for flexibility with last minute changes, etc. These are things that we can’t get through conventional approaches and are difficult to get when you a constantly switching properties. The flexibility we have at the Hotel Felix is very helpful.
It helps that we like the hotel and its restaurant. The hotel staff is efficient and friendly, and it’s nice to return to a place where you are remembered! The rooms are compact but intelligently organized to use the space efficiently. It doesn’t hurt that I like modern design. Finally the location is very good as well.
Hotel Felix is a near perfect solution for us.”
Many travelers who stay at Hotel Felix leave reviews. If you are interested in seeing more reviews from past guests on Trip Advisor.
Posted on April 15th, 2014 No comments
We have received some gorgeous photos of spring flowers during our Green Thumb Photo Contest! You can take a look at the entries in our Facebook album. Make sure to like your favorites to vote for them.
Here are some example photos that we’ve taken. Your photos can be of you in your garden, of spring flowers you pass by on an afternoon walk, of your dog in the green grass at the park – anything that showcases spring in a beautiful way.
The winner of the Green Thumb Photo Contest receives flowers from Amlings Interior Landscape and a free night’s stay at Hotel Felix. Submit your photos tagged with #GreenFelix for your chance to win. We can’t wait to see your green thumb at work!
Hotel Felix Provides Fun Ways to Celebrate Earth Month with Eco-Friendly Deals and Events throughout AprilPosted on April 1st, 2014 No comments
Every April, we celebrate Earth Month at Hotel Felix by offering guests and Chicagoans opportunities to participate in green-friendly programs all month long. The ever-popular “Earth Day, Earth Stay” rate returns along with new contests and exclusive offers to create an action-packed, green month.
You likely already know from reading our blog that we’re Chicago’s first eco-friendly and Silver Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design™ (LEED) certified hotel. We’re committed to green practices year round and we have extra excitement happening in April. Following are ways you can celebrate Earth Month this April:
- Earth Day, Earth Stay: On April 8, starting at 12:00 PM, the annual discounted Earth Day room rate will be available to people who will reserve a room for an overnight stay on Earth Day, April 22. Guests are encouraged to visit www.hotelfelixchicago.com and by using the online promo code EARTH, the first 10 reservations to book will receive the Earth Day room rate of $20.14, exclusive of the Chicago hotel tax. This promotion will definitely go fast – be the first to benefit from this exclusive offer.
- Green Deals from Divvy for Hotel Felix Guests: During Earth Month, Divvy will offer a special discounted rate on the price of 24-Hour Passes for Hotel Felix guests plus free 24-Hour Passes for the hotel guests on Earth Day (April 22). Divvy, Chicago’s bike sharing system, is the ideal way to explore the city of Chicago. Divvy has 300 stations that are located throughout the city with a station just one block from Hotel Felix. To learn more about Divvy, click here.
- Green Networking Receptions at Hotel Felix’s Lobby Bar: Hotel Felix, in collaboration with Troquet River North, will host two wine receptions – one on Earth Day (April 22) and another one to wrap up Earth Month (April 30). These two “Green Networking” wine receptions will take place from 5-7 p.m., and the cost is $10/person, which includes two glasses of wine followed by an open cash bar. Troquet River North has a sustainable wine system through a draft pour, which reduces bottles and corks. Reservations in advance are highly recommended. Chicagoans and hotel guests can RSVP by calling Troquet at 312-202-9900. Green enthusiasts should attend the events armed with green tips and sustainable ideas to share.
- Green Thumb Photo Contest: Fans and followers are encouraged to post photos on social media of any spring flowers sprouting from the ground or pictures of their “green thumb” at work. Fans can enter as many photos as they would like – the more, the better chances of winning. Photos must be tagged with Hotel Felix and include the #GreenFelix hashtag in order to be included in the contest, which will be available on Facebook at www.facebook.com/hotelfelix. The best photo with the most “votes” wins flowers from Amlings Interior Landscape, along with a complimentary night stay at Hotel Felix Chicago. The contest starts at 10 a.m., April 7 and runs until April 30.
- Green Travelers = Great Upgrades: Guests who can show proof of green travel, either through public transportation with an Amtrak/Bus/CTA ticket or driving a hybrid or an electric vehicle, will receive a room upgrade during Earth Month. For this promotion, guests must book directly through Hotel Felix’ website (www.hotelfelixchciago.com) or by calling 877-848-4040. Room upgrades are based on availability at check-in to the next room type level.
- Scrappy’s Green Tips: Scrappy, one of the larger-than-life sustainable sculptures at Hotel Felix (photo below), will offer his eco-friendly tips throughout Earth Month. Scrappy’s tips are both practical and humorous but most importantly – always green. As examples, Scrappy recommends unplugging chargers and devices when they’re not in use. He also advocates walking whenever possible. Guests can find Scrappy’s Green Tips on Twitter (www.twitter.com/hotelfelix) throughout Earth Month with hashtag #ScrappyTip.
- Be Green and Tweet Green: Hotel Felix will host a Twitter contest during Earth Month to encourage its eco-friendly followers to tweet green activities throughout the month. Green enthusiasts can tweet all month long with information on how they are being green, such as recycling their water bottle after lunch, drinking out of reusable travel mugs, biking to work, ride-sharing, etc. The person who tweets their green activities to @hotelfelix with hashtag #GreenFelix the most wins a complimentary night stay at Hotel Felix Chicago. The contest starts at 10 a.m., April 1 and runs until April 30.
George Jordan, Area General Manager of Hotel Felix Chicago and Senior Vice President of Oxford Hotels & Resorts, is one of our biggest champions of our eco-friendly efforts. He stated, “At Hotel Felix, Earth Month gives us the opportunity to showcase our green efforts that we practice all year long. We’re thrilled to offer guests and the community a variety of exciting green activities and events.”
To learn more about Hotel Felix Chicago, please visit www.hotelfelixchicago.com. Happy Earth Month!
Posted on March 18th, 2014 No comments
When someone says they know how to save money while traveling, we listen! Veteran consumer travel advocate Christopher Elliott’s How To Be The World’s Smartest Traveler (and Save Time, Money and Hassle) gives smart travel advice on airlines, car rentals, cruises, hotels and more, and answers questions that we all ask when booking vacations or weekend getaways.
Elliott makes sense of the many, many different blogs and review sites out there, and offers highlighted smart travel tips throughout the book:
Facts have to be verified by at least three independent sources when you’re a journalist. The same rule applies to travel recommendations. Don’t put all your money on one review from a single source, or even on many reviews from one source. Ideally, you’ll want to make sure three sources that are independent of one another confirm the review.
As Chicago’s first Silver LEED certified hotel, we encourage you to purchase the eco-friendly Kindle version of this book, available for $9.99 on Amazon.com. Happy reading!
Posted on March 12th, 2014 No comments
Even the choices you make when booking a flight can make a difference for our planet. This list from For Dummies outlines six eco-friendly travel tips for packing light and flying green.
Did you know that booking a daytime flight can reduce your carbon footprint? The article also recommends flying airlines who use newer airplane models, and upgrading to a larger carry-on to avoid having to check a bag (lighter plane means less fuel).
Take an opportunity to learn more about green travel and choose Hotel Felix Chicago for your next eco-friendly vacation destination. Our sustainable amenities include:
☻Natural southern exposure, which aids in heating building in wither months
☻Preserved building structure in re-development, which prevented non-biodegradable materials going to landfills
☻Exterior sculptures made from reclaimed materials
☻Low energy-use lighting, such as compact fluorescent & LED throughout building
☻”Recycling Room” used by the hotel to sort recyclables
☻Use of USGBC approved cleaning supplies that are earth friendly
☻Use of free trade coffees and chocolates
We can’t wait to see you soon!
Posted on February 25th, 2014 No comments
We would like to give one big thank you to ChicagoTraveler.com for adding us in their review of the Top 10 Downtown Chicago Hotels.
We are happy to be on your Top 10 – and even more honored that you mentioned that we are one of your “absolute favorite Downtown Chicago Hotels.” We’ll admit our location in River North is a great location, no matter what you want to do in Chicago. We are steps away from Magnificent Mile shopping and entertainment, various restaurants, and fun places in the city.
Posted on January 21st, 2014 No comments
A touch. A smile. A stare. At the Hotel Felix Chicago, we embrace Romance. Book now and celebrate love with your significant other. Romance Package includes:
• Accommodations for two (2) in one of our contemporary and luxurious guestrooms
• A bottle of champagne delivered to your room
• Late check out until 2:00 PM
Posted on December 27th, 2013 No comments
This New Year’s Eve, Hotel Felix is a sponsor of Parkway Ballroom‘s Bow Tie Ball! Hotel Felix, along with ABC 7 and Windy City Live host Val Warner, invite you to join us in Bronzeville at the Bronze Event Lounge for passed appetizers, an open bar, and live music. After ringing in 2014, make your way to Hotel Felix to sleep it off. The staff at Chicago’s first Silver LEED certified hotel will be there to show you to your accomodations, just steps away from Chicago’s landmarks, including the Magnificent Mile, museums, shopping and more.
Happy New Year from all of us at Hotel Felix!
Posted on December 20th, 2013 No comments
Troy and Randy celebrate Friday at Hotel Felix with their angelic rendition of “Build Me Up Buttercup” by The Foundations. Click on the link to listen!
Posted on October 9th, 2013 No comments
We’re so proud to share that Allen Christian, the artist responsible for our beloved sustainable sculpture family, has been recognized by City Paper for his striking sculptures in the new exhibit at the American Visionary Art Museum in Baltimore.
The exhibit, titled Human Soul and Machine: The Coming Singularity is “mind-tickling and eye-tickling” and “filled with objects that are so attractive on first glance and so intriguing on subsequent inspection that no back story is needed.” One of Christian’s sculptures, “Piano Family: Amoroso”, serves as the poster child for the new exhibit and is, as City Paper calls it, “…both beautiful and unnerving,”. Human Soul and Machine: The Coming Singularity is running at the AVAM through August 31, 2014. To read the complete article please visit this link.
We are proud to be Chicago’s first LEED Silver certified hotel because we strive to give our guests a great experience and stay Happy. Naturally. We try to welcome guests with an elegance inspired by natural elements, which can be seen in our décor with our wall of wood and cozy modern fireplace. Not only do we like to bring natural elements in, but we also maintain “green” standards to help sustain the elements outside the hotel.
Next time you’re in town, we hope you’ll stay with us or stop by to see all that our hotel has to offer. Tweet us about your upcoming travel plans and adventures in the city. Snap a picture and tag us on Instagram (@HotelFelix) next to our wall of wood. We love to know that our guests our comfortable and of course, Happy. Naturally.