Posted on January 19th, 2016 No comments
Although many people believe that visits to the planetarium should be reserved just for children, the Adler Planetarium has another idea in mind.
The Adler Planetarium, located in Chicago’s South Loop, has a monthly exhibit that invites adults 21+ up to explore the planetarium with drinks and entertainment. On every third Thursday of the month, it offers unique entertainment that’s perfect for local Chicagoans or tourists.
A $20 ticket gives you access to the following:
- Full access and admission to museum exhibits and galleries
- Unlimited sky shows in our 3 state-of-the-art theaters
- Special guests and lectures
- Stellar hands-on educational programs
- Access to the Doane Observatory (weather permitting)
- Live entertainment
- The best view of the skyline from anywhere in Chicago!
The next event is Thursday, January 21 and it will feature the topic “First Contact,” which includes a variety of exhibits that show us what would ever happen to Earth if we ever encountered alien civilizations.
To learn more, visit the Adler Planetarium’s website.
Posted on January 6th, 2016 No comments
Most New Years resolutions tend to be personal and vary between individuals. The most popular often range from getting into shape, less time using technology, etc. But what would happen to the Earth if we all agreed to integrate eco-friendly resolutions into our daily routines? One thing is for sure: we would be one step closer to saving our environment.
Kevin Pink, writer for the Center of EcoTechnology, has a few green resolutions to try for the new year. We thought these were great ideas for green resolutions to incorporate into our daily routines. You can see the full article here here. A few tips from the article:
1. Save energy. Determine your energy use, then figure out how you can reduce it by a significant amount.
2. Choose green energy.
3. Commit to reuse. Bring your own bags when you go shopping. Stop drinking bottled water and carry a high-quality reusable water bottle. Make your coffee at home and use a thermos or reusable mugs. These little steps can save you a lot of money and are great ways to reduce waste at the same time.
4. Don’t trash it, donate it! Thinking about renovating in 2016? Carefully deconstruct and donate your kitchen cabinets. If you have some extra tiles, molding, or even screws, donate them to EcoBuilding Bargains or other eco-friendly organizations instead of throwing them out. If you’re cleaning out your closet, remember to keep your local Goodwill Industries in mind.
5. Travel smarter. If you can, bike or walk to work, and watch the holiday pounds melt away! If you can’t do that, talk to some coworkers about carpooling. You’ll reduce wear and tear on your vehicles, save gas, and reduce carbon emissions, all of which will save you money!”
To read the rest of the article, click here.
We hope you decide to integrate a few of these resolutions into your life. Let us know if you do!
Happy New Year – we wish you a happy, healthy and green 2016!
Posted on December 8th, 2015 No comments
We have exciting news at Hotel Felix: We are selected as part of Best of +VIP Access with Expedia. We will be featured in a +VIP Access Collection across 29 active Expedia+ websites based on feedback from +gold members.
We strive to provide the best customer service to our visitors and provide high quality hospitality every day. It is an honor to be recognized through Expedia on an international level with other hotels across the world.
The 2015 Best of +VIP Access winners are chosen from a prestigious collection of more than 1,800 +VIP Access hotels worldwide, already known for superior service and excellent guest reviews. To be considered a +VIP Access hotel, the property must rank among the highest customer satisfaction rankings, reflecting feedback from elite Expedia+ members.
Special benefits for Expedia+ members include free parking and transfers, resort credits, free spa treatments and Wi-Fi for travelers at the Expedia +silver or +gold level.
Posted on November 2nd, 2015 No comments
Shhhh! Book our SECRET FALL SALE between now until November 30, 2015 and stay through December 31, 2015 and receive 20 percent off our Best Available Rate. Spread the news! After all, some secrets are meant to be shared.
We invite you to experience our upscale boutique hotel that blends a comfortable elegance with inspiring natural elements, within walking distance to Chicago’s Magnificent Mile shopping district, world-class dining and historic landmarks.
As Chicago’s first Silver-LEED certified hotel, indulge in an enriching setting that is environmentally friendly. Organic materials. Renewable resources. Low flow toilets. And most importantly, reduced carbon footprint. The sale will go quickly so don’t delay – and remember, some secrets are meant to be shared, especially with your loved ones during the holidays.
Photo Credit: iStock.com/andresimaging
Posted on October 6th, 2015 No comments
Living in a fast paced city like Chicago, it’s important to take a step back and see how you can improve the environment and culture around you. Although it may not be easy to create change on a global scale on your own, it’s easy to get involved with the different world organizations, like the United Nations’ newest endeavor, The Sustainable Development Goals.
The United Nations has created Urban October for a time to promote environmental awareness and knowledge while engaging communities around the world to adopt a New Urban Agenda in order to attain a sustainable future for the globe. With this project, the U.N. hopes to “explain the meaning and the importance of safe, sustainable, clean public spaces for all, face the rapid urban growth that, if not sustainably managed, can escalate poverty and unemployment, safety and crime problems, pollution and health issues,” according to this Huffington Post article by Gaia Paradiso. The Sustainable Development Goals aims to ensure access for all to “adequate, safe and affordable housing and basic services and upgrade slums, accessible and sustainable transport system for all, improving road safety; enhance inclusive and sustainable urbanization and capacity for participatory, integrated and sustainable human settlement planning and management in all countries.”
Click here to find out more information on how you can get involved and use the hashtag #GlobalGoals on social media.
Posted on June 30th, 2015 No comments
Summer is finally here! In Chicago, we earned it after quite a long winter and a bleak spring. Now, everyone is out and about exploring the city and all it has to offer. When the weather is hot and everyone is looking for the next weekend getaway, cool off with these tips for traveling green this summer.
• People produce more waste when traveling than any other time in the year. To cut back on some of that waste, bring a re-useable water bottle while traveling.
• Take a non-stop flight to your destination as well as be mindful of your choice of aircrafts. Larger airplanes, such as the Boeing 777, get more people to their destinations with less fuel consumption.
• While cooling off at the beach, use eco-friendly sunscreens to keep Lake Michigan free of extra pollution.
• Take in all Chicago has to offer by biking! Divvy bike stations are easily accessible all over Chicago and provide a great eco-friendly way to see the sites. It’s a great way to reduce your carbon footprint.
• Eat and shop locally! The food that is grown locally does not need to be shipped and therefore uses no extra fuel. Plus it’s a great way to immerse yourself into the culture of the city! See what the locals see and eat what the locals eat.
Posted on June 10th, 2015 No comments
Here at Hotel Felix, we love being based in a city with a variety of eco-friendly businesses. One of our personal favorites is the Greenheart Shop.
Located at 1714 N. Wells Street, the Greenheart Shop has devoted itself to fair trade practices since 2007. Their mission is simple: provide a shopping experience that supports fair trade, eco-friendly products, and local social enterprises. When you choose to shop fair trade at Greenheart your purchase supports community development projects, safe working conditions, and sustainable environmental practices. Not to mention a perfect gift for yourself or loved ones back home!
The Greenheart Shop also prides itself on stocking a wide variety of products. Including but not limited to clothing, home decor, children’s items, and accessories. In addition, the Greenheart Shop features an “Artisan of the Month” on their website to showcase different fair trade artisans from around the world. So the next time you need a gift, a pick me up, or a little stylish inspiration, we hope you’ll visit our friends at the Greenheart Shop.
For more information on the Greenheart Shop visit their website, www.greenheartshop.org.
Posted on May 26th, 2015 No comments
It’s gorgeous outside – Chicago is beautiful this time of year.
Here are seven Chicago outdoor activities that are sure to please every traveler.
- The Chicago Park District website is full of information on locations, events and programs. Maybe you’re looking to take in a jazz concert or theatre production at the park? If you’re visiting Chicago, you’re in the right place.
- Book an architecture tour. By boat or on foot, these tours get you out in the sunshine while you learn something about the Windy City. Tours are available via the Chicago Architecture Foundation, Wendella Boats, or Shoreline Sightseeing.
- Visit the Lincoln Park Zoo. Free to the public, this zoo is open 365 days a year and now features an adorable baby gorilla born in February 2015.
- Sail on a pirate ship! The Tall Ship Windy at Navy Pier is a one-of-a-kind experience. Guides share long-lost stories of Lake Michigan as you take in a truly unique view of the Chicago skyline.
- This is a constant for us – Divvy bikes! You can’t go wrong with docks located all over the city and gorgeous lakefront paths. Remember, return your bike to a dock every 30 minutes to “check in” and avoid fees. One code is valid for 24 hours.
- Register for a 5k. Running is good for your health, yes, but Chicago races allow for amazing views of the water or downtown. Check out the Chicago Area Running Association (CARA) website for an updated race calendar.
- Visit Millennium Park and Cloud Gate! Even long-time Chicagoans can enjoy seeing double by the sculpture lovingly known as “The Bean.” Check out the City of Chicago website for this and other sculptures in the area. This is a great way to fill up your Instagram with memorable pics!
Have a great spring outdoors in Chicago! Good for your health, your mind and your spirit.CAF, chicago, Chicago Architecture Foundation, Cloud Gate, Divvy, divvy bikes, eco-friendly, Eco-Friendly Hotel, green, hotel, Hotel Felix, hotel felix chicago, LEED, lincoln park zoo, millennium park, outdoor, outdoor activities, outside, Shoreline Sightseeing, Silver LEED certified, spring, Tall Ship Windy, travel, Wendella Boats
Posted on April 2nd, 2015 No comments
Earth Month is here! During the month of April, we at Hotel Felix celebrate with green and eco-friendly activities and events for guests and Chicagoans alike. As Hotel Felix continues to reduce its carbon footprint, we want to encourage our guests and followers to do the same. In particular, Hotel Felix will hold a Twitter contest to encourage our eco-friendly followers to tweet green activities throughout April. Whether you are recycling your water bottle after lunch, drinking out of a reusable travel mug, biking to work, ride-sharing, or anything else that’s green, we want to hear from you.
The person who tweets their green activities to @HotelFelix with hashtag #GreenFelix the most has a chance to win a complimentary night stay at Hotel Felix! The contest runs until April 30 at 5p.m. CST. The person who tweets the most will win. Please note that management will determine if there is a tie and certainly an extra photo or two with your tweets help.
We cannot wait to see all the great green activities you participate in on a daily basis. Good luck, and Happy Earth Month from all of us at Hotel Felix!
Posted on March 29th, 2015 No comments
Last night, we celebrated Earth Hour. What’s Earth Hour you might ask? The goal is to unite millions of people across the planet for one hour in support of the environment.
From 8:30-9:30 p.m., everyone is to turn out their lights and reduce their carbon footprint. This is done on six continents across the globe and everyone does it in their local time zone. At Hotel Felix, we turned off all our non-emergency lights in the public spaces, such as the lobby as seen below.
Following are photos from last night’s Earth Hour. Thank you to all who participated!