Posted on June 30th, 2015 No comments
Summer is finally here! In Chicago, we earned it after quite a long winter and a bleak spring. Now, everyone is out and about exploring the city and all it has to offer. When the weather is hot and everyone is looking for the next weekend getaway, cool off with these tips for traveling green this summer.
• People produce more waste when traveling than any other time in the year. To cut back on some of that waste, bring a re-useable water bottle while traveling.
• Take a non-stop flight to your destination as well as be mindful of your choice of aircrafts. Larger airplanes, such as the Boeing 777, get more people to their destinations with less fuel consumption.
• While cooling off at the beach, use eco-friendly sunscreens to keep Lake Michigan free of extra pollution.
• Take in all Chicago has to offer by biking! Divvy bike stations are easily accessible all over Chicago and provide a great eco-friendly way to see the sites. It’s a great way to reduce your carbon footprint.
• Eat and shop locally! The food that is grown locally does not need to be shipped and therefore uses no extra fuel. Plus it’s a great way to immerse yourself into the culture of the city! See what the locals see and eat what the locals eat.
Posted on June 10th, 2015 No comments
Here at Hotel Felix, we love being based in a city with a variety of eco-friendly businesses. One of our personal favorites is the Greenheart Shop.
Located at 1714 N. Wells Street, the Greenheart Shop has devoted itself to fair trade practices since 2007. Their mission is simple: provide a shopping experience that supports fair trade, eco-friendly products, and local social enterprises. When you choose to shop fair trade at Greenheart your purchase supports community development projects, safe working conditions, and sustainable environmental practices. Not to mention a perfect gift for yourself or loved ones back home!
The Greenheart Shop also prides itself on stocking a wide variety of products. Including but not limited to clothing, home decor, children’s items, and accessories. In addition, the Greenheart Shop features an “Artisan of the Month” on their website to showcase different fair trade artisans from around the world. So the next time you need a gift, a pick me up, or a little stylish inspiration, we hope you’ll visit our friends at the Greenheart Shop.
For more information on the Greenheart Shop visit their website, www.greenheartshop.org.
Posted on May 26th, 2015 No comments
It’s gorgeous outside – Chicago is beautiful this time of year.
Here are seven Chicago outdoor activities that are sure to please every traveler.
- The Chicago Park District website is full of information on locations, events and programs. Maybe you’re looking to take in a jazz concert or theatre production at the park? If you’re visiting Chicago, you’re in the right place.
- Book an architecture tour. By boat or on foot, these tours get you out in the sunshine while you learn something about the Windy City. Tours are available via the Chicago Architecture Foundation, Wendella Boats, or Shoreline Sightseeing.
- Visit the Lincoln Park Zoo. Free to the public, this zoo is open 365 days a year and now features an adorable baby gorilla born in February 2015.
- Sail on a pirate ship! The Tall Ship Windy at Navy Pier is a one-of-a-kind experience. Guides share long-lost stories of Lake Michigan as you take in a truly unique view of the Chicago skyline.
- This is a constant for us – Divvy bikes! You can’t go wrong with docks located all over the city and gorgeous lakefront paths. Remember, return your bike to a dock every 30 minutes to “check in” and avoid fees. One code is valid for 24 hours.
- Register for a 5k. Running is good for your health, yes, but Chicago races allow for amazing views of the water or downtown. Check out the Chicago Area Running Association (CARA) website for an updated race calendar.
- Visit Millennium Park and Cloud Gate! Even long-time Chicagoans can enjoy seeing double by the sculpture lovingly known as “The Bean.” Check out the City of Chicago website for this and other sculptures in the area. This is a great way to fill up your Instagram with memorable pics!
Have a great spring outdoors in Chicago! Good for your health, your mind and your spirit.CAF, chicago, Chicago Architecture Foundation, Cloud Gate, Divvy, divvy bikes, eco-friendly, Eco-Friendly Hotel, green, hotel, Hotel Felix, hotel felix chicago, LEED, lincoln park zoo, millennium park, outdoor, outdoor activities, outside, Shoreline Sightseeing, Silver LEED certified, spring, Tall Ship Windy, travel, Wendella Boats
Posted on April 2nd, 2015 No comments
Earth Month is here! During the month of April, we at Hotel Felix celebrate with green and eco-friendly activities and events for guests and Chicagoans alike. As Hotel Felix continues to reduce its carbon footprint, we want to encourage our guests and followers to do the same. In particular, Hotel Felix will hold a Twitter contest to encourage our eco-friendly followers to tweet green activities throughout April. Whether you are recycling your water bottle after lunch, drinking out of a reusable travel mug, biking to work, ride-sharing, or anything else that’s green, we want to hear from you.
The person who tweets their green activities to @HotelFelix with hashtag #GreenFelix the most has a chance to win a complimentary night stay at Hotel Felix! The contest runs until April 30 at 5p.m. CST. The person who tweets the most will win. Please note that management will determine if there is a tie and certainly an extra photo or two with your tweets help.
We cannot wait to see all the great green activities you participate in on a daily basis. Good luck, and Happy Earth Month from all of us at Hotel Felix!
Posted on March 29th, 2015 No comments
Last night, we celebrated Earth Hour. What’s Earth Hour you might ask? The goal is to unite millions of people across the planet for one hour in support of the environment.
From 8:30-9:30 p.m., everyone is to turn out their lights and reduce their carbon footprint. This is done on six continents across the globe and everyone does it in their local time zone. At Hotel Felix, we turned off all our non-emergency lights in the public spaces, such as the lobby as seen below.
Following are photos from last night’s Earth Hour. Thank you to all who participated!
Posted on March 19th, 2015 No comments
On April 1, Hotel Felix will celebrate Earth Month 2015. As part of our Earth Month celebrations, Scrappy, one of the larger-than-life sustainable sculptures at Hotel Felix, will offer his eco-friendly tips throughout Earth Month. Scrappy’s tips are known for being practical and humorous, but most importantly-always green. As Chicago’s first Silver LEED certified hotel, it is essential to us at Hotel Felix that our guests understand the importance of incorporating green practices into their daily lives. Below are a few examples of what you can expect from Scrappy during Earth Month this year:
-Unplug chargers and devices when not in use.
-Walk whenever possible, or take public transportation.
-Invest in “green” light bulbs.
-Reuse plastic grocery bags or recycle.
To find Scrappy’s tips during Earth Month this year, follow Hotel Felix on Twitter at @HotelFelix and follow the hashtag #ScrappyTips starting April 1. What are some of your best practices for staying green?
Posted on March 3rd, 2015 No comments
Calling all green thumbs! The Chicago Flower and Garden Show is approaching. One of our favorite events to attend here at Hotel Felix, the Chicago Flower and Garden show has been a sign that spring has begun after a long, cold winter since 1847.
Held at Navy Pier, the Chicago Flower and Garden Show works to create realistic gardening inspiration for all attendees. From the moment you step inside, you are immersed into a lush landscape with miniature gardens displaying perennials, annuals, and trees. These miniature gardens are courtesy of local landscape designers, builders, and suppliers whose goal it is each year to inspire seasoned gardeners and newcomers alike. In addition, there will be the Gardening Live stage and How-To Garden sessions to provide interactive and educational sessions for all levels of gardeners.
The annual American Institute of Floral Designers Bobbi Cup Design Competition will be held during the Flower and Garden Show on March 14, at 1p.m. This live design competition features some of the best floral designers in the industry. Watch them as they race to create the best floral display in only an hour and a half.
The Chicago Flower and Garden show takes place March 14-22 at Navy Pier.
– Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday – 10a.m.-6p.m.
– Thursday, Friday, and Saturday – 10a.m.-8p.m.
Tickets prices range from $10 to $17 and can be purchased at www.chicagoflower.com.
Posted on February 26th, 2015 No comments
Looking for a great festival to attend while winter sticks around? Here’s one we recommend: attend the One Earth Film Festival on March 6-8. It combines two of our favorite things at Hotel Felix: movies and the environment.
Part of Green Community Connections, One Earth Film Festival is now in its fourth consecutive year. The purpose of One Earth Film Festival is simple – create opportunities for understanding climate change and sustainability through the power of film. Each film is shown at designated theaters around the city of Chicago. Following the film, moderators from Green Community Connections lead discussions focused on the environmental solutions proposed in each film. Featured films this year include:
– Angel Azul, Directed by Marcy Cravat and Kath Delaney
– Arise, Directed by Lori Joyce and Candice Orlando
– Edible City, Directed by Andrew Hasse
– Field Biologist, Directed by Jared Flescher
With a selection of more than 35 riveting environmental films, there is certain to be a film for each festival-goer. For movie times, tickets, and a full weekend agenda visit greencommunityconnections.org.
Posted on February 9th, 2015 No comments
Their date night essentials, hydra-repair intensive topical infusion capsules and red carpet primer, will ensure a flawless look for your romantic evening. Hydra repair features an intensive topical plant extract and ceramide capsules to improve lipid content in the skin and hydration. The red carpet primer features a plant-based hydrating and plumping microspheres, which fill in wrinkles, fine lines, and conceal pores. Leaving skin smooth and even before applying your foundation.
Started by Ian Lirenman in 1997, emerginC prides itself on 100 percent natural, minimum 70 percent organic skin care products. You won’t find parabens, synthetic fragrances, or synthetic colors in any of their products.
EmerginC also is a leader in fair trade practices and environmental initiatives, making them a perfect product to feature at Spa Boutique Felix. We take great pride in being an eco-friendly hotel and their environmental efforts are important to us.
So to ensure you’re looking flawless this Valentine’s Day, stop by our Spa Boutique Felix for your emerginC essentials. Then, go out and have the best date night with your sweetie.
Posted on January 8th, 2015 No comments
At Hotel Felix our New Year’s resolution is to maintain our green eco friendly habits. As Chicago’s first Silver LEED certified hotel we are always looking for new opportunities to be green. And ways to inspire our guests to take a little bit of green knowledge home with them after their stay. So if you’re looking to stay green in 2015, here are a few tips from us at Hotel Felix:
1. Use a reusable water bottle instead of plastic.
2. Invest in reusable grocery bags instead of paper or plastic.
3. Turn off the lights when you leave a room.
4. Switch out light bulbs to energy efficient options.
5. Unplug your phone and computer charger when they’re not in use.
6. Pack your lunch in a reusable bag and containers.
7. Switch from paper to cloth towels to clean up around your house.
8. Use public transportation.
9. Donate any unwanted clothes or household items to a local charity.
10. When booking a trip, look for the TripAdvisor Green Leaders certification,
awarded to top eco friendly hotels across the country. Hotel Felix is proud to
be on this list.
We hope 2015 inspires you to make a small green change in your daily routine. From all of us at Hotel Felix: Happy New Year!