Posted on May 13th, 2014 No comments
Our Green Thumb Photo Contest invited photographers, gardeners, and lovers of spring to submit photos showing off their green thumbs or simply nature’s beauty. Here are just some of the entries.
Use these images as inspiration as you set out in your garden this spring! Take a look at this article on HGTV.com for 14 simple gardening tips from master gardener Paul James.
Did you know that you can use a bar of soap to seal the undersides of your nails and prevent dirt from collecting beneath them? James also suggests using the water from boiling vegetables to water your plants. Your garden will really respond to this nutrient-rich treat! Happy Spring. #GreenFelix
Posted on May 9th, 2014 No comments
Congratulations to @starburstt for winning our Be Green Tweet Green Contest with the highest number of tweets! Her #EarthMonth tips were super creative. Here are some of the ideas she shared:
-When making pasta, I keep the water for my plants. It’s filled with rich nutrients and better than plain water.
-A foot of hair needs a lot of water. Cutting it short saves so much water from washing. Plus, I think it looks nice.
-Opting out of paper statements is great habit. Getting e-bills and doing e-pays is so convenient, too.
-Lunchtime! I like keeping silver utensils at work to avoid using plastic disposables ones at work.
-I drink way too many cups of coffee a day. At least I use biodegradable pods instead of plastic k-cups.
-Can’t believe how cold it still is! Instead of turning up the heat again & wasting gas, I’m putting on extra layers.
@starburstt even sent us a couple of pictures to complement her #GreenFelix tweets.
As the Be Green Tweet Green Contest winner, @starburstt has won a free night’s stay at Hotel Felix. Congrats!
Posted on May 7th, 2014 No comments
Congratulations to the winner of our Green Thumb Photo Contest, Barbara Bowen! She submitted a gorgeous photo of a Bird of Paradise flower and received the most likes of all our entries on Facebook.
According to Wikipedia, “Bird of Paradise” is the common name for the species Strelitzia. The flower is native to South Africa and is even featured on the country’s 50-cent coin. We are thrilled that she shared this beauty with us during Earth Month! As the winner of the Green Thumb Photo Contest, Barbara will receive flowers from Amlings Interior Landscape and a complimentary night’s stay at Hotel Felix Chicago.
Thank you again for entering, Barbara. Congrats!
Posted on May 1st, 2014 No comments
We want to give our Green Thumb Photo Contest entrants a special thank you for entering during #EarthMonth! We received some gorgeous photos from very talented gardeners and photographers during #EarthMonth. Here are some randomly selected entries:
Our Be Green Tweet Green contest was also a big success. Here are some of the #EarthMonth tips we received:
*When making pasta, keep the water for plants. It’s filled with rich nutrients and better than plain water.
*Replace paper napkins with cloth ones.
*For a goodnight sleep, open windows at night for fresh air.
*Change out light bulbs to the new CFL bulbs.
*Opt out of paper statements is great habit. Getting e-bills is convenient, too.
*Bring lunch to work in a reusable lunch bag.
Winners for both contests will be announced later this month. Keep an eye out for these beautiful images being used for Hotel Felix in different ways!
Posted on April 28th, 2014 No comments
Tweet @hotelfelix how you’re being green with the tag #GreenFelix to enter our Be Green Tweet Green contest this Earth Month! We want to hear if you’re recycling, biking to work, planting flowers in your garden – anything eco-friendly that makes you a friend to the planet.
The contest ends Wednesday, April 30! The winner receives a free night’s stay at Hotel Felix. For contest rules, click here.
Posted on April 18th, 2014 No comments
We are thrilled to be partnering with Amlings Interior Landscape for our Green Thumb Photo Contest this Earth Month. They have generously offered beautiful flowers to the winner of the contest. For more than 30 years, Amlings has served the Chicagoland area as a professional, responsive plant care company. Amlings prides themselves on creating beauty, and have done amazing things for Hotel Felix and for Chicago’s public green spaces! Take a look at the photos from their website:
The winner of the Green Thumb Photo Contest also receives a free night’s stay at Hotel Felix. Submit your green photo tagged with #GreenFelix now through April 30 for your chance to win. For official contest rules, click here.
Posted on April 15th, 2014 No comments
“At NASDA we are in the trade show business in an unusual way. We work in concert with USDA’s Foreign Agricultural Service to create international trade opportunities for U.S. companies in the food business. This has led us into partnership with FMI (the Food Marketing Institute) and NRA (the National Restaurant Association) over the past fifteen years, and, as a result lots of time in Chicago.
We have housing needs for our staff, for international visitors, and occasionally the staff of our members. But the thing we need most is flexibility. Marianne Encarnado and the rest of the sales staff at the Hotel Felix have consistently gone out of their way to accommodate our basic needs and our need for flexibility with last minute changes, etc. These are things that we can’t get through conventional approaches and are difficult to get when you a constantly switching properties. The flexibility we have at the Hotel Felix is very helpful.
It helps that we like the hotel and its restaurant. The hotel staff is efficient and friendly, and it’s nice to return to a place where you are remembered! The rooms are compact but intelligently organized to use the space efficiently. It doesn’t hurt that I like modern design. Finally the location is very good as well.
Hotel Felix is a near perfect solution for us.”
Many travelers who stay at Hotel Felix leave reviews. If you are interested in seeing more reviews from past guests on Trip Advisor.
Posted on April 15th, 2014 No comments
We have received some gorgeous photos of spring flowers during our Green Thumb Photo Contest! You can take a look at the entries in our Facebook album. Make sure to like your favorites to vote for them.
Here are some example photos that we’ve taken. Your photos can be of you in your garden, of spring flowers you pass by on an afternoon walk, of your dog in the green grass at the park – anything that showcases spring in a beautiful way.
The winner of the Green Thumb Photo Contest receives flowers from Amlings Interior Landscape and a free night’s stay at Hotel Felix. Submit your photos tagged with #GreenFelix for your chance to win. We can’t wait to see your green thumb at work!
Hotel Felix Provides Fun Ways to Celebrate Earth Month with Eco-Friendly Deals and Events throughout AprilPosted on April 1st, 2014 No comments
Every April, we celebrate Earth Month at Hotel Felix by offering guests and Chicagoans opportunities to participate in green-friendly programs all month long. The ever-popular “Earth Day, Earth Stay” rate returns along with new contests and exclusive offers to create an action-packed, green month.
You likely already know from reading our blog that we’re Chicago’s first eco-friendly and Silver Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design™ (LEED) certified hotel. We’re committed to green practices year round and we have extra excitement happening in April. Following are ways you can celebrate Earth Month this April:
- Earth Day, Earth Stay: On April 8, starting at 12:00 PM, the annual discounted Earth Day room rate will be available to people who will reserve a room for an overnight stay on Earth Day, April 22. Guests are encouraged to visit www.hotelfelixchicago.com and by using the online promo code EARTH, the first 10 reservations to book will receive the Earth Day room rate of $20.14, exclusive of the Chicago hotel tax. This promotion will definitely go fast – be the first to benefit from this exclusive offer.
- Green Deals from Divvy for Hotel Felix Guests: During Earth Month, Divvy will offer a special discounted rate on the price of 24-Hour Passes for Hotel Felix guests plus free 24-Hour Passes for the hotel guests on Earth Day (April 22). Divvy, Chicago’s bike sharing system, is the ideal way to explore the city of Chicago. Divvy has 300 stations that are located throughout the city with a station just one block from Hotel Felix. To learn more about Divvy, click here.
- Green Networking Receptions at Hotel Felix’s Lobby Bar: Hotel Felix, in collaboration with Troquet River North, will host two wine receptions – one on Earth Day (April 22) and another one to wrap up Earth Month (April 30). These two “Green Networking” wine receptions will take place from 5-7 p.m., and the cost is $10/person, which includes two glasses of wine followed by an open cash bar. Troquet River North has a sustainable wine system through a draft pour, which reduces bottles and corks. Reservations in advance are highly recommended. Chicagoans and hotel guests can RSVP by calling Troquet at 312-202-9900. Green enthusiasts should attend the events armed with green tips and sustainable ideas to share.
- Green Thumb Photo Contest: Fans and followers are encouraged to post photos on social media of any spring flowers sprouting from the ground or pictures of their “green thumb” at work. Fans can enter as many photos as they would like – the more, the better chances of winning. Photos must be tagged with Hotel Felix and include the #GreenFelix hashtag in order to be included in the contest, which will be available on Facebook at www.facebook.com/hotelfelix. The best photo with the most “votes” wins flowers from Amlings Interior Landscape, along with a complimentary night stay at Hotel Felix Chicago. The contest starts at 10 a.m., April 7 and runs until April 30.
- Green Travelers = Great Upgrades: Guests who can show proof of green travel, either through public transportation with an Amtrak/Bus/CTA ticket or driving a hybrid or an electric vehicle, will receive a room upgrade during Earth Month. For this promotion, guests must book directly through Hotel Felix’ website (www.hotelfelixchciago.com) or by calling 877-848-4040. Room upgrades are based on availability at check-in to the next room type level.
- Scrappy’s Green Tips: Scrappy, one of the larger-than-life sustainable sculptures at Hotel Felix (photo below), will offer his eco-friendly tips throughout Earth Month. Scrappy’s tips are both practical and humorous but most importantly – always green. As examples, Scrappy recommends unplugging chargers and devices when they’re not in use. He also advocates walking whenever possible. Guests can find Scrappy’s Green Tips on Twitter (www.twitter.com/hotelfelix) throughout Earth Month with hashtag #ScrappyTip.
- Be Green and Tweet Green: Hotel Felix will host a Twitter contest during Earth Month to encourage its eco-friendly followers to tweet green activities throughout the month. Green enthusiasts can tweet all month long with information on how they are being green, such as recycling their water bottle after lunch, drinking out of reusable travel mugs, biking to work, ride-sharing, etc. The person who tweets their green activities to @hotelfelix with hashtag #GreenFelix the most wins a complimentary night stay at Hotel Felix Chicago. The contest starts at 10 a.m., April 1 and runs until April 30.
George Jordan, Area General Manager of Hotel Felix Chicago and Senior Vice President of Oxford Hotels & Resorts, is one of our biggest champions of our eco-friendly efforts. He stated, “At Hotel Felix, Earth Month gives us the opportunity to showcase our green efforts that we practice all year long. We’re thrilled to offer guests and the community a variety of exciting green activities and events.”
To learn more about Hotel Felix Chicago, please visit www.hotelfelixchicago.com. Happy Earth Month!
Posted on March 18th, 2014 No comments
When someone says they know how to save money while traveling, we listen! Veteran consumer travel advocate Christopher Elliott’s How To Be The World’s Smartest Traveler (and Save Time, Money and Hassle) gives smart travel advice on airlines, car rentals, cruises, hotels and more, and answers questions that we all ask when booking vacations or weekend getaways.
Elliott makes sense of the many, many different blogs and review sites out there, and offers highlighted smart travel tips throughout the book:
Facts have to be verified by at least three independent sources when you’re a journalist. The same rule applies to travel recommendations. Don’t put all your money on one review from a single source, or even on many reviews from one source. Ideally, you’ll want to make sure three sources that are independent of one another confirm the review.
As Chicago’s first Silver LEED certified hotel, we encourage you to purchase the eco-friendly Kindle version of this book, available for $9.99 on Amazon.com. Happy reading!