Posted on April 18th, 2014 No comments
We are thrilled to be partnering with Amlings Interior Landscape for our Green Thumb Photo Contest this Earth Month. They have generously offered beautiful flowers to the winner of the contest. For more than 30 years, Amlings has served the Chicagoland area as a professional, responsive plant care company. Amlings prides themselves on creating beauty, and have done amazing things for Hotel Felix and for Chicago’s public green spaces! Take a look at the photos from their website:
The winner of the Green Thumb Photo Contest also receives a free night’s stay at Hotel Felix. Submit your green photo tagged with #GreenFelix now through April 30 for your chance to win. For official contest rules, click here.
Posted on April 15th, 2014 No comments
We have received some gorgeous photos of spring flowers during our Green Thumb Photo Contest! You can take a look at the entries in our Facebook album. Make sure to like your favorites to vote for them.
Here are some example photos that we’ve taken. Your photos can be of you in your garden, of spring flowers you pass by on an afternoon walk, of your dog in the green grass at the park – anything that showcases spring in a beautiful way.
The winner of the Green Thumb Photo Contest receives flowers from Amlings Interior Landscape and a free night’s stay at Hotel Felix. Submit your photos tagged with #GreenFelix for your chance to win. We can’t wait to see your green thumb at work!
Hotel Felix Provides Fun Ways to Celebrate Earth Month with Eco-Friendly Deals and Events throughout AprilPosted on April 1st, 2014 No comments
Every April, we celebrate Earth Month at Hotel Felix by offering guests and Chicagoans opportunities to participate in green-friendly programs all month long. The ever-popular “Earth Day, Earth Stay” rate returns along with new contests and exclusive offers to create an action-packed, green month.
You likely already know from reading our blog that we’re Chicago’s first eco-friendly and Silver Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design™ (LEED) certified hotel. We’re committed to green practices year round and we have extra excitement happening in April. Following are ways you can celebrate Earth Month this April:
- Earth Day, Earth Stay: On April 8, starting at 12:00 PM, the annual discounted Earth Day room rate will be available to people who will reserve a room for an overnight stay on Earth Day, April 22. Guests are encouraged to visit www.hotelfelixchicago.com and by using the online promo code EARTH, the first 10 reservations to book will receive the Earth Day room rate of $20.14, exclusive of the Chicago hotel tax. This promotion will definitely go fast – be the first to benefit from this exclusive offer.
- Green Deals from Divvy for Hotel Felix Guests: During Earth Month, Divvy will offer a special discounted rate on the price of 24-Hour Passes for Hotel Felix guests plus free 24-Hour Passes for the hotel guests on Earth Day (April 22). Divvy, Chicago’s bike sharing system, is the ideal way to explore the city of Chicago. Divvy has 300 stations that are located throughout the city with a station just one block from Hotel Felix. To learn more about Divvy, click here.
- Green Networking Receptions at Hotel Felix’s Lobby Bar: Hotel Felix, in collaboration with Troquet River North, will host two wine receptions – one on Earth Day (April 22) and another one to wrap up Earth Month (April 30). These two “Green Networking” wine receptions will take place from 5-7 p.m., and the cost is $10/person, which includes two glasses of wine followed by an open cash bar. Troquet River North has a sustainable wine system through a draft pour, which reduces bottles and corks. Reservations in advance are highly recommended. Chicagoans and hotel guests can RSVP by calling Troquet at 312-202-9900. Green enthusiasts should attend the events armed with green tips and sustainable ideas to share.
- Green Thumb Photo Contest: Fans and followers are encouraged to post photos on social media of any spring flowers sprouting from the ground or pictures of their “green thumb” at work. Fans can enter as many photos as they would like – the more, the better chances of winning. Photos must be tagged with Hotel Felix and include the #GreenFelix hashtag in order to be included in the contest, which will be available on Facebook at www.facebook.com/hotelfelix. The best photo with the most “votes” wins flowers from Amlings Interior Landscape, along with a complimentary night stay at Hotel Felix Chicago. The contest starts at 10 a.m., April 7 and runs until April 30.
- Green Travelers = Great Upgrades: Guests who can show proof of green travel, either through public transportation with an Amtrak/Bus/CTA ticket or driving a hybrid or an electric vehicle, will receive a room upgrade during Earth Month. For this promotion, guests must book directly through Hotel Felix’ website (www.hotelfelixchciago.com) or by calling 877-848-4040. Room upgrades are based on availability at check-in to the next room type level.
- Scrappy’s Green Tips: Scrappy, one of the larger-than-life sustainable sculptures at Hotel Felix (photo below), will offer his eco-friendly tips throughout Earth Month. Scrappy’s tips are both practical and humorous but most importantly – always green. As examples, Scrappy recommends unplugging chargers and devices when they’re not in use. He also advocates walking whenever possible. Guests can find Scrappy’s Green Tips on Twitter (www.twitter.com/hotelfelix) throughout Earth Month with hashtag #ScrappyTip.
- Be Green and Tweet Green: Hotel Felix will host a Twitter contest during Earth Month to encourage its eco-friendly followers to tweet green activities throughout the month. Green enthusiasts can tweet all month long with information on how they are being green, such as recycling their water bottle after lunch, drinking out of reusable travel mugs, biking to work, ride-sharing, etc. The person who tweets their green activities to @hotelfelix with hashtag #GreenFelix the most wins a complimentary night stay at Hotel Felix Chicago. The contest starts at 10 a.m., April 1 and runs until April 30.
George Jordan, Area General Manager of Hotel Felix Chicago and Senior Vice President of Oxford Hotels & Resorts, is one of our biggest champions of our eco-friendly efforts. He stated, “At Hotel Felix, Earth Month gives us the opportunity to showcase our green efforts that we practice all year long. We’re thrilled to offer guests and the community a variety of exciting green activities and events.”
To learn more about Hotel Felix Chicago, please visit www.hotelfelixchicago.com. Happy Earth Month!
Posted on March 18th, 2014 No comments
When someone says they know how to save money while traveling, we listen! Veteran consumer travel advocate Christopher Elliott’s How To Be The World’s Smartest Traveler (and Save Time, Money and Hassle) gives smart travel advice on airlines, car rentals, cruises, hotels and more, and answers questions that we all ask when booking vacations or weekend getaways.
Elliott makes sense of the many, many different blogs and review sites out there, and offers highlighted smart travel tips throughout the book:
Facts have to be verified by at least three independent sources when you’re a journalist. The same rule applies to travel recommendations. Don’t put all your money on one review from a single source, or even on many reviews from one source. Ideally, you’ll want to make sure three sources that are independent of one another confirm the review.
As Chicago’s first Silver LEED certified hotel, we encourage you to purchase the eco-friendly Kindle version of this book, available for $9.99 on Amazon.com. Happy reading!
Posted on March 12th, 2014 No comments
Even the choices you make when booking a flight can make a difference for our planet. This list from For Dummies outlines six eco-friendly travel tips for packing light and flying green.
Did you know that booking a daytime flight can reduce your carbon footprint? The article also recommends flying airlines who use newer airplane models, and upgrading to a larger carry-on to avoid having to check a bag (lighter plane means less fuel).
Take an opportunity to learn more about green travel and choose Hotel Felix Chicago for your next eco-friendly vacation destination. Our sustainable amenities include:
☻Natural southern exposure, which aids in heating building in wither months
☻Preserved building structure in re-development, which prevented non-biodegradable materials going to landfills
☻Exterior sculptures made from reclaimed materials
☻Low energy-use lighting, such as compact fluorescent & LED throughout building
☻”Recycling Room” used by the hotel to sort recyclables
☻Use of USGBC approved cleaning supplies that are earth friendly
☻Use of free trade coffees and chocolates
We can’t wait to see you soon!
Posted on March 4th, 2014 1 comment
Happy Fat Tuesday! Each year we celebrate Mardi Gras, also known as Fat Tuesday, at Hotel Felix Chicago. We treat the entire team – from the senior managers to housekeeping – to a delicious lunch. What’s best – everyone gets into the spirit by wearing beads and masks in celebration.
This year, we opted to have a nontraditional meal. Rather than the expected, we dined on Spanish paella, bread pudding, clams and more! Quite the feast!
Following are photos from the day, which you can also see a sampling on our Facebook page.
Fat Tuesday is always a great way to celebrate at the hotel and remind all team members how much we appreciate them. Hope you’re celebrating tonight too.
Posted on January 24th, 2014 No comments
We are hiring!
Join our great team here at Hotel Felix and help make our guests “Happy. Naturally,” just like our hotel’s tag line.
We currently are accepting resumes or applications and will start hiring this spring. We prefer applicants who have a minimum of two years of hospitality experience. We are looking to fill the following positions:
– Front Desk Agent
– Room Attendant
Our hotel is Chicago’s first LEED Silver certified hotel and we pride ourselves on our sustainable, green efforts. “Loren the Doorman” (pictured) is one of our larger-than-life sustainable sculptures. He “greets” the guests every day, along with our always-accomodating hotel team.
In order to apply, please fax a resume to 312-447-3441, or walk-in to complete an application. We are located at 111 W. Huron Street in Chicago. No phone calls or emails please. We are an equal opportunity employer (EOE).
To learn more about Hotel Felix, please visit our website.
We look forward to hearing from some great candidates!
Posted on January 21st, 2014 No comments
A touch. A smile. A stare. At the Hotel Felix Chicago, we embrace Romance. Book now and celebrate love with your significant other. Romance Package includes:
• Accommodations for two (2) in one of our contemporary and luxurious guestrooms
• A bottle of champagne delivered to your room
• Late check out until 2:00 PM
Posted on January 2nd, 2014 No comments
Happy 2014! At a time when we reflect on the year in review and all the excitement of 2013, we were happy to see the most popular Instagram hashtag was #love. Mostly, we were happy to be a part of that #love since we started our Instagram in 2013.
Posted on December 27th, 2013 No comments
This New Year’s Eve, Hotel Felix is a sponsor of Parkway Ballroom‘s Bow Tie Ball! Hotel Felix, along with ABC 7 and Windy City Live host Val Warner, invite you to join us in Bronzeville at the Bronze Event Lounge for passed appetizers, an open bar, and live music. After ringing in 2014, make your way to Hotel Felix to sleep it off. The staff at Chicago’s first Silver LEED certified hotel will be there to show you to your accomodations, just steps away from Chicago’s landmarks, including the Magnificent Mile, museums, shopping and more.
Happy New Year from all of us at Hotel Felix!
We #love sharing snaps of our artwork, cozy fire, and special events. You can see what goes on inside and around Chicago’s first eco-friendly, LEED Silver hotel. In 2014, we’ll continue to share our creative moments and inspiration, which often comes from our fellow team members and valued guests. Can’t you just feel the #love?
We have tagged pictures that include eco-friendly, green, Chicago, travel, tours, and shopping. Our sustainable artwork are some of our most popular photos we have shared. If you stop by make sure to snap a picture Scrappy, pick your favorite filter and make sure to tag us (@hotelfelix).
Check out this Inside Facebook article shows other popular tags were #food and #friends, and when you #travel what is better than including great #food and #friends. In fact, the top places Instagram photos were taken include Times Square, Siam Paragon Shopping Mall in Bangkok, and Disneyland California.
In 2014, join us on Instagram under Hotel Felix, and don’t forget to tag us when you #travel through, because we #love sharing moments that inspire us to be the best eco-friendly hotel in Chicago.