Posted on May 26th, 2015 No comments
It’s gorgeous outside – Chicago is beautiful this time of year.
Here are seven Chicago outdoor activities that are sure to please every traveler.
- The Chicago Park District website is full of information on locations, events and programs. Maybe you’re looking to take in a jazz concert or theatre production at the park? If you’re visiting Chicago, you’re in the right place.
- Book an architecture tour. By boat or on foot, these tours get you out in the sunshine while you learn something about the Windy City. Tours are available via the Chicago Architecture Foundation, Wendella Boats, or Shoreline Sightseeing.
- Visit the Lincoln Park Zoo. Free to the public, this zoo is open 365 days a year and now features an adorable baby gorilla born in February 2015.
- Sail on a pirate ship! The Tall Ship Windy at Navy Pier is a one-of-a-kind experience. Guides share long-lost stories of Lake Michigan as you take in a truly unique view of the Chicago skyline.
- This is a constant for us – Divvy bikes! You can’t go wrong with docks located all over the city and gorgeous lakefront paths. Remember, return your bike to a dock every 30 minutes to “check in” and avoid fees. One code is valid for 24 hours.
- Register for a 5k. Running is good for your health, yes, but Chicago races allow for amazing views of the water or downtown. Check out the Chicago Area Running Association (CARA) website for an updated race calendar.
- Visit Millennium Park and Cloud Gate! Even long-time Chicagoans can enjoy seeing double by the sculpture lovingly known as “The Bean.” Check out the City of Chicago website for this and other sculptures in the area. This is a great way to fill up your Instagram with memorable pics!
Have a great spring outdoors in Chicago! Good for your health, your mind and your spirit.CAF, chicago, Chicago Architecture Foundation, Cloud Gate, Divvy, divvy bikes, eco-friendly, Eco-Friendly Hotel, green, hotel, Hotel Felix, hotel felix chicago, LEED, lincoln park zoo, millennium park, outdoor, outdoor activities, outside, Shoreline Sightseeing, Silver LEED certified, spring, Tall Ship Windy, travel, Wendella Boats
Posted on April 23rd, 2015 No comments
Chicago’s spring has been unseasonably cold this year, but there are still ways for you to liven up your garden. Don’t be afraid to bundle up and get out there! According to Better Homes and Gardens, perennials such as bigroot geraniums, toad lilies, ajuga, old-fashioned bleeding heart and more are shade-loving plants and can survive even during a cold spring. Their colors are just as vibrant as you would expect in 70-degree weather.
Still needing inspiration? Beginning in April, the American Flower Show Series at the Chicago Botanic Garden offers events surrounding flowers like daffodils, violets and dahlias. You can even register for a bonsai workshop.
Click here for a full list of events at the Chicago Botanic Garden for Spring 2015.
Posted on March 3rd, 2015 No comments
Calling all green thumbs! The Chicago Flower and Garden Show is approaching. One of our favorite events to attend here at Hotel Felix, the Chicago Flower and Garden show has been a sign that spring has begun after a long, cold winter since 1847.
Held at Navy Pier, the Chicago Flower and Garden Show works to create realistic gardening inspiration for all attendees. From the moment you step inside, you are immersed into a lush landscape with miniature gardens displaying perennials, annuals, and trees. These miniature gardens are courtesy of local landscape designers, builders, and suppliers whose goal it is each year to inspire seasoned gardeners and newcomers alike. In addition, there will be the Gardening Live stage and How-To Garden sessions to provide interactive and educational sessions for all levels of gardeners.
The annual American Institute of Floral Designers Bobbi Cup Design Competition will be held during the Flower and Garden Show on March 14, at 1p.m. This live design competition features some of the best floral designers in the industry. Watch them as they race to create the best floral display in only an hour and a half.
The Chicago Flower and Garden show takes place March 14-22 at Navy Pier.
– Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday – 10a.m.-6p.m.
– Thursday, Friday, and Saturday – 10a.m.-8p.m.
Tickets prices range from $10 to $17 and can be purchased at www.chicagoflower.com.
Posted on May 13th, 2014 No comments
Our Green Thumb Photo Contest invited photographers, gardeners, and lovers of spring to submit photos showing off their green thumbs or simply nature’s beauty. Here are just some of the entries.
Use these images as inspiration as you set out in your garden this spring! Take a look at this article on HGTV.com for 14 simple gardening tips from master gardener Paul James.
Did you know that you can use a bar of soap to seal the undersides of your nails and prevent dirt from collecting beneath them? James also suggests using the water from boiling vegetables to water your plants. Your garden will really respond to this nutrient-rich treat! Happy Spring. #GreenFelix
Posted on April 15th, 2014 No comments
We have received some gorgeous photos of spring flowers during our Green Thumb Photo Contest! You can take a look at the entries in our Facebook album. Make sure to like your favorites to vote for them.
Here are some example photos that we’ve taken. Your photos can be of you in your garden, of spring flowers you pass by on an afternoon walk, of your dog in the green grass at the park – anything that showcases spring in a beautiful way.
The winner of the Green Thumb Photo Contest receives flowers from Amlings Interior Landscape and a free night’s stay at Hotel Felix. Submit your photos tagged with #GreenFelix for your chance to win. We can’t wait to see your green thumb at work!
Posted on February 10th, 2014 No comments
Join our great team here at Hotel Felix and help make our guests “Happy. Naturally.”
Posted on March 18th, 2013 No comments
Spring, you had us worried there for a second. This Wednesday, March 20, marks the first official day of spring! The spring, a.k.a. vernal, equinox is the only time of year (besides fall equinox) when the sun rises due east and sets due west. The days will be noticeably longer with sunlight lasting well into the evening hours.
We can’t wait for beautiful blossoms to peak through the ground (like the daffodils above!), trees to grow lush with new life and the excited buzz that intoxicates the city this time of year. Spring is a time for cleaning, not only your home, but yourself. Do you have any goals for spring? Are you as excited to shed your winter coats, hats, mittens and boots as we are?
Posted on March 23rd, 2012 No comments
A new season brings a new set of travel plans. Here are a few tips to follow while traveling this spring and beyond.
When traveling it is always beneficial to pack underwear, an outfit and toiletries in a carry-on bag. By preparing for the worst (your luggage is lost) you will be able to have a fresh pair of clothing and toiletries at hand. Remember, most airlines only allow economy passengers $50 dollars to purchase essentials if their luggage is lost.
It is always a challenge to stay healthy while traveling. Close quarters on flights, lack of sleep, stress inducers; here are a few ways to avoid catching a cold or a virus.
- Rinse, Lather, Repeat. Be sure to always thoroughly wash your hands! Always carry hand sanitizer if a washroom is not readily available and you have come in contact with public surfaces.
- Be sure to get up and move. Long flights can take a toll on your body so be sure to do a few laps (walking of course) up and down the aisle to avoid muscle cramps and soreness. Also be sure to stretch out your muscles. Seated twist is great for stretching out your back.
- Get Rest. To boost your immune system or recover your mood you must rest. Try packing your own travel pillow and blanket to avoid using the airlines. Noise canceling headphones are great for light sleepers.
- Stay Hydrated! Drinking water will improve your health but will also help in avoiding jet lag so be sure to drink up.
Travel safe and smart but above all enjoy your time!
Posted on March 20th, 2012 No comments
With temperatures climbing to the 80′s and brilliant blue skies, today is a beautiful day to welcome the spring season! Today, spring equinox, marks the first official start of spring and the start of more daylight then night for the next six months. Spring equinox is one of the few days of the year where the length of the day is almost exactly equal to the length of the night.
The balmy temperatures feel more like summer in Chicago then spring but we’re certainly not complaining! We encourage you to try a bike ride, or perhaps a walk or jog, on your commute to soak up this sensational weather. How will you be celebrating the first day of spring? Share with us on our Facebook page or tweet us your plans.
Posted on April 1st, 2011 No comments
In Chicago, spring is synonymous with baseball, and although it doesn’t feel like spring just yet (we can thank 40-degree weather and a chance of snow for that), today is devoted to the baseball fans around the city who eagerly anticipate opening day all year long!
The Cubs take on the Pittsburgh Pirates at 1:20 p.m. CST today at Chicago’s beloved Wrigley Field. In case you weren’t able to nab a ticket, the game will be televised on WGN and broadcast on WGN 720 AM.
The Go-Go White Sox kick off their season in Cleveland at 2:05 p.m. CST against the Indians at Progressive Field. Chicagoans can catch the game on Comcast or on WSCR 670 AM. The Sox home opener is next Thursday, April 7 against the Tampa Bay Rays.
Are you a Cubs or Sox fan? What are your favorite ballpark memories?
We continue to accept resumes or applications, and will start hiring this spring. We prefer applicants who have a minimum of two years of hospitality experience. We are looking to fill the following positions:
-Front Desk Agent
Our hotel is Chicago’s first LEED Silver certified hotel and we pride ourselves on our sustainable, green efforts. Apply to be on the team with “Scrappy”, our favorite dog in the sustainable family, who greets every guest with an ear to ear smile.
In order to apply, please email resumes to email@example.com, or walk-in to complete an application. We are located at 111 W. Huron Street in Chicago. No phone calls. We are an equal opportunity employer (EOE).
To learn more about Hotel Felix, please visit our website.
We look forward to hearing from some great candidates!