Labor day is a highly celebrated holiday but rings in a sadness at the same time: end of summer is approaching. Labor day marks the last summer holiday, so you might as well go out with a bang before the cold weather traps you indoors. The usual celebration of this festive holiday includes one large BBQ, drink, friends and family. Here are a few recipes to try out at your Labor Day Extravaganza:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 1/3 pounds ground beef sirloin
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup diced white onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 slices pepperjack cheese
- 4 hamburger buns, split
- 4 leaves lettuce
- 4 slices tomato
- Preheat grill for medium-high heat. In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise and 1 teaspoon of Cajun seasoning. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the ground sirloin, jalapeno pepper, onion, garlic, 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning, and Worcestershire sauce using your hands. Divide into 4 balls, and flatten into patties.
- Lightly oil the grilling surface, and place the patties on the grill. Cook for about 5 minutes per side, or until well done. During the last 2 minutes, lay a slice of cheese on top of each patty. Spread the seasoned mayonnaise onto the insides of the buns. Put burgers in the buns, and top with lettuce and tomato to serve.
For more burgers check out All Recipes Top 20 Burgers.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup almonds, blanched and slivered
- 1 pound spinach, rinsed and torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced onion
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Cook and stir almonds in butter until lightly toasted. Remove from heat, and let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the spinach with the toasted almonds and cranberries.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sesame seeds, poppy seeds, sugar, onion, paprika, white wine vinegar, cider vinegar, and vegetable oil. Toss with spinach just before serving.
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can frozen limeade concentrate
- 12 fluid ounces tequila
- 12 fluid ounces water
- 12 fluid ounces beer
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Pour limeade, tequila, water, and beer into a large pitcher. Stir until well-blended, and limeade has melted. Add plenty of ice, and garnish with lime wedges. Adjust with additional water, if needed.