Posted on April 23rd, 2015 No comments
Chicago’s spring has been unseasonably cold this year, but there are still ways for you to liven up your garden. Don’t be afraid to bundle up and get out there! According to Better Homes and Gardens, perennials such as bigroot geraniums, toad lilies, ajuga, old-fashioned bleeding heart and more are shade-loving plants and can survive even during a cold spring. Their colors are just as vibrant as you would expect in 70-degree weather.
Still needing inspiration? Beginning in April, the American Flower Show Series at the Chicago Botanic Garden offers events surrounding flowers like daffodils, violets and dahlias. You can even register for a bonsai workshop.
Click here for a full list of events at the Chicago Botanic Garden for Spring 2015.
Posted on April 21st, 2015 No comments
Earth Month is well underway and we’re loving the green tips we’re receiving via Twitter with hashtag #GreenFelix.
Have you shared any tips yet? If not, there’s still time to enter the contest. Whether you are recycling your water bottle after lunch, drinking coffee from a reusable mug, biking to work, ride-sharing, or anything else that’s eco-friendly, we want to hear from you.
To enter, simply tweet your green activities to @HotelFelix with hashtag #GreenFelix. You can tweet as much as you’d like until 5 p.m. CST on April 30. The person who tweets the most has a chance to win a complimentary night stay at Hotel Felix. Easy and fun! Please note that management will determine if there is a tie and certainly an extra photo or two with your tweets help.
Keep the tweets coming! Happy Earth Month from Hotel Felix!
Posted on April 13th, 2015 No comments
Here at Hotel Felix, we are celebrating Earth Month throughout April as Chicago’s first Silver LEED certified hotel. In addition, our friends at the Greenheart Shop have a few great specials through April, including a trunk show with us on Earth Day, April 22.
On Earth Day, celebrate in green style by shopping at Greenheart Shop’s Trunk Show on Hotel Felix’ mezzanine. From 10 a.m.-3 p.m., April 22, guests and Chicagoans can view their new line of green products, including their sustainably-sourced Peruvian wood serving dishes and get a sneak peek of what Greenheart has in their full store. All Hotel Felix guests will receive 20 percent off all merchandise in store throughout April with proof of hotel key.
Then, on April 24, we encourage you to participate in the Fashion Revolution Day. Join Greenheart as they commemorate this annual global movement honoring those that were lost in the Rana Plaza Bangladeshi Factory collapse in 2013. Join in the conversation on social media using the hashtag “#InsideOut.” In addition, if you follow the Greenheart Shop on Twitter and Instagram at @Greenheartshop or use “#InsideOut” you will receive 20 percent off all clothing in store.
The Greenheart Shop is located at 1714 N. Wells Street. For more information visit www.greenheartshop.org or follow the Greenheart Shop on Twitter and Instagram at @Greenheartshop.
And remember, come check out the Trunk Show at our mezzanine on Earth Day!
Posted on April 2nd, 2015 No comments
Earth Month is here! During the month of April, we at Hotel Felix celebrate with green and eco-friendly activities and events for guests and Chicagoans alike. As Hotel Felix continues to reduce its carbon footprint, we want to encourage our guests and followers to do the same. In particular, Hotel Felix will hold a Twitter contest to encourage our eco-friendly followers to tweet green activities throughout April. Whether you are recycling your water bottle after lunch, drinking out of a reusable travel mug, biking to work, ride-sharing, or anything else that’s green, we want to hear from you.
The person who tweets their green activities to @HotelFelix with hashtag #GreenFelix the most has a chance to win a complimentary night stay at Hotel Felix! The contest runs until April 30 at 5p.m. CST. The person who tweets the most will win. Please note that management will determine if there is a tie and certainly an extra photo or two with your tweets help.
We cannot wait to see all the great green activities you participate in on a daily basis. Good luck, and Happy Earth Month from all of us at Hotel Felix!
Posted on April 1st, 2015 No comments
Happy Earth Month from your friends at Hotel Felix! As Chicago’s first Silver LEED hotel, we love celebrating Earth Month all month long. We will celebrate Earth Month with green and eco-friendly activities and events for our guests and Chicagoans. We continue to reduce our carbon footprint and encourage everyone to do the same.
During April, we are thrilled to announce the following activities for eco-friendly ways to get involved:
– Earth Day, Earth Stay: On April 8, starting at 12 p.m., the annual discounted Earth Day room rate of just $20.15 (exclusive of the Chicago hotel tax), will be available to people who will reserve a room for an overnight stay on Earth Day, April 22, 2015. Guests are encouraged to visit
www.hotelfelixchicago.com and use the online promo code EARTH. The offer is available to the first five reservations. Don’t procrastinate – this deal will definitely go fast.
– Green Deals from Divvy for Hotel Felix Guests: On Earth Day, Divvy will give hotel guests free 24-Hour Passes to take advantage of their bike-sharing service. Plus, they will offer a discounted rate on the 24-Hour Pass throughout the month to all Hotel Felix guests. And, Chicagoans and guests should be on the lookout for additional complimentary prizes each week via social media from Divvy and Hotel Felix. Divvy is an ideal way to explore the city of Chicago with 300+ stations throughout the city. To learn more about Divvy, please visit DivvyBikes.com.
– Scrappy’s Green Tips: Scrappy, one of the larger-than-life sustainable sculptures at Hotel Felix, will offer his eco-friendly tips throughout Earth Month. Scrappy’s tips are both practical and humorous but most importantly – always green. As examples, Scrappy recommends unplugging chargers and devices when they’re not in use. He also advocates walking whenever possible or taking public transportation. Guests can find Scrappy’s Green Tips on Twitter (www.twitter.com/hotelfelix) throughout Earth Month with hashtag #ScrappyTips.
– Be Green and Tweet Green: Hotel Felix will host a Twitter contest during Earth Month to encourage its eco-friendly followers to tweet green activities throughout the month. Green enthusiasts can tweet all month long with information on how they are being green, such as recycling their water bottle after lunch, drinking out of reusable travel mugs, biking to work, ride-sharing, etc. The person who tweets their green activities to @hotelfelix with hashtag #GreenFelix the most wins a complimentary night stay at Hotel Felix Chicago. Management will determine if there is a tie. The contest starts at 10 a.m., April 1 and runs until April 30 at 5 p.m. CT.
– Green Groups Save Green: During Earth Month, eco-friendly group bookings will receive 20 percent off the best available rate if they show proof of their environmental practices. This special discount is available only for new group bookings in April and May 2015. For inquiries, please contact Marianne Encarnado, Area Director of Sales and Marketing, at 312-447-2950.
- Green Shopping Galore: On Earth Day, celebrate in green style by shopping at Greenheart Shop’s Trunk Show on Hotel Felix’ mezzanine. From 10-3 p.m., April 22, guests and Chicagoans can view their new line of green products, including their sustainably-sourced Peruvian wood serving dishes and get a sneak peek of what Greenheart has in their full store. All Hotel Felix guests will receive 20 percent off all merchandise in store throughout April with proof of hotel key.
More about Hotel Felix
As Chicago’s first hotel awarded Silver LEED certification, Hotel Felix (111 W. Huron) delivers an enriching experience that not only benefits the guests, but the environment as well. Hotel Felix opened in April 2009 after an extensive redevelopment of a 1926 building using organic materials and renewable resources. The 225-room boutique hotel is conveniently located just steps from the Magnificent Mile and The Loop, surrounded by many of Chicago’s renowned attractions, popular restaurants, bars and world-class entertainment.
To learn more about Hotel Felix Chicago, please visit www.hotelfelixchicago.com.
Posted on March 29th, 2015 No comments
Last night, we celebrated Earth Hour. What’s Earth Hour you might ask? The goal is to unite millions of people across the planet for one hour in support of the environment.
From 8:30-9:30 p.m., everyone is to turn out their lights and reduce their carbon footprint. This is done on six continents across the globe and everyone does it in their local time zone. At Hotel Felix, we turned off all our non-emergency lights in the public spaces, such as the lobby as seen below.
Following are photos from last night’s Earth Hour. Thank you to all who participated!
Posted on March 25th, 2015 No comments
Happy March Madness Chicago! We know you’ve done your research, consulted your friends, and analyzed your brackets. (Some might even say their brackets are broken with so many upsets already).
What better way to reward yourself for your hard work than enjoying our neighbor restaurant Troquet River North’s March Madness game day special? For all March Madness games, Troquet River North will offer their Troquet Burger with fries and a Miller Lite for only $10.
With an angus beef patty, shallot jam, and roasted garlic aioli the Troquet Burger is the perfect lunch or dinner option when cheering on your favorite team. And if you’re craving another dish for lunch or dinner, each item on Troquet’s menu is inspired by a region in France. Complete with a fully stocked wine bar, there’s little chance that your menu choice will go wrong (though we can’t say the same about your bracket).
To make a reservation call 312-202-9900 or visit www.troquetrivernorth.com. Let the madness begin!
Posted on March 19th, 2015 No comments
On April 1, Hotel Felix will celebrate Earth Month 2015. As part of our Earth Month celebrations, Scrappy, one of the larger-than-life sustainable sculptures at Hotel Felix, will offer his eco-friendly tips throughout Earth Month. Scrappy’s tips are known for being practical and humorous, but most importantly-always green. As Chicago’s first Silver LEED certified hotel, it is essential to us at Hotel Felix that our guests understand the importance of incorporating green practices into their daily lives. Below are a few examples of what you can expect from Scrappy during Earth Month this year:
-Unplug chargers and devices when not in use.
-Walk whenever possible, or take public transportation.
-Invest in “green” light bulbs.
-Reuse plastic grocery bags or recycle.
To find Scrappy’s tips during Earth Month this year, follow Hotel Felix on Twitter at @HotelFelix and follow the hashtag #ScrappyTips starting April 1. What are some of your best practices for staying green?
Posted on March 11th, 2015 No comments
Lights, camera, action! Hotel Felix is proud to announce that our very own Senior Vice President of Oxford Hotels and Resorts, George Jordan, will be traveling to Los Angeles to tape a new reality show!
George is the Area General Manager of our hotel, as well as The Godfrey Hotel and Hotel Cass at the Magnificent Mile.
Good luck George, we can’t wait to see you in action. Follow Hotel Felix on Facebook and Twitter at @HotelFelix for updates on when you can see George on the small screen.
Posted on March 6th, 2015 No comments
Get moving! Chicago is known for their robust running and racing season. Which is why here at Hotel Felix we couldn’t be more excited for the kick off to the season, The Bank of American Shamrock Shuffle, in just three short weeks. The Shamrock Shuffle is in its 36th year and shows no sign of slowing down. Open to runners of all ages and skill levels, the race begins at 8:30 a.m. on Sunday, March 29 at Grant Park in Chicago.
To keep runners motivated in that home stretch, the Shamrock Shuffle’s famous “green guys and green girl” will make an appearance once again this year during the race. The “green guys and green girl” serve as morale captains to keep the fun, festive spirit of the race alive all the way to the finish line.
With Grant Park only about a 20 minute walk from Hotel Felix, we’re the perfect location for any out of town participants looking for a place to rest and prep before the big day. All rooms at Hotel Felix are complete with linens and bedding woven from the finest cotton, L’Occitane amenities, and plush robes. Complimentary internet access is also available in every room. And what better to unwind after any run than with a luxurious spa treatment from Spa Boutique Felix.
To make a reservation visit hotefelixchicago.com or call our concierge at 312-447-3440. So to all participants in the Shamrock Shuffle, good luck! And we hope to see you soon.