Posted on April 22nd, 2014 No comments
Did you see us? Hotel Felix’s Earth Month Events were featured in the Daily Herald. We love sharing the great news about our Earth Month celebration, because we believe this is one of the best months out of the year. Earth Month at Hotel Felix would not be as memorable without great green enthusiasts.
Posted on April 18th, 2014 No comments
We are thrilled to be partnering with Amlings Interior Landscape for our Green Thumb Photo Contest this Earth Month. They have generously offered beautiful flowers to the winner of the contest. For more than 30 years, Amlings has served the Chicagoland area as a professional, responsive plant care company. Amlings prides themselves on creating beauty, and have done amazing things for Hotel Felix and for Chicago’s public green spaces! Take a look at the photos from their website:
The winner of the Green Thumb Photo Contest also receives a free night’s stay at Hotel Felix. Submit your green photo tagged with #GreenFelix now through April 30 for your chance to win. For official contest rules, click here.
Posted on April 15th, 2014 No comments
“At NASDA we are in the trade show business in an unusual way. We work in concert with USDA’s Foreign Agricultural Service to create international trade opportunities for U.S. companies in the food business. This has led us into partnership with FMI (the Food Marketing Institute) and NRA (the National Restaurant Association) over the past fifteen years, and, as a result lots of time in Chicago.
We have housing needs for our staff, for international visitors, and occasionally the staff of our members. But the thing we need most is flexibility. Marianne Encarnado and the rest of the sales staff at the Hotel Felix have consistently gone out of their way to accommodate our basic needs and our need for flexibility with last minute changes, etc. These are things that we can’t get through conventional approaches and are difficult to get when you a constantly switching properties. The flexibility we have at the Hotel Felix is very helpful.
It helps that we like the hotel and its restaurant. The hotel staff is efficient and friendly, and it’s nice to return to a place where you are remembered! The rooms are compact but intelligently organized to use the space efficiently. It doesn’t hurt that I like modern design. Finally the location is very good as well.
Hotel Felix is a near perfect solution for us.”
Many travelers who stay at Hotel Felix leave reviews. If you are interested in seeing more reviews from past guests on Trip Advisor.
Posted on April 15th, 2014 No comments
We have received some gorgeous photos of spring flowers during our Green Thumb Photo Contest! You can take a look at the entries in our Facebook album. Make sure to like your favorites to vote for them.
Here are some example photos that we’ve taken. Your photos can be of you in your garden, of spring flowers you pass by on an afternoon walk, of your dog in the green grass at the park – anything that showcases spring in a beautiful way.
The winner of the Green Thumb Photo Contest receives flowers from Amlings Interior Landscape and a free night’s stay at Hotel Felix. Submit your photos tagged with #GreenFelix for your chance to win. We can’t wait to see your green thumb at work!
Posted on April 7th, 2014 No comments
Do you have a green thumb? Like our Facebook page to enter our Green Thumb Photo Contest! Now through April 30, you can share your pictures of spring flowers sprouting from the ground or of your “green thumb” at work. Enter as many photos as you like – the more you share, the better your chances of winning. Use #GreenFelix in your contest entry.
Hotel Felix Provides Fun Ways to Celebrate Earth Month with Eco-Friendly Deals and Events throughout AprilPosted on April 1st, 2014 No comments
Every April, we celebrate Earth Month at Hotel Felix by offering guests and Chicagoans opportunities to participate in green-friendly programs all month long. The ever-popular “Earth Day, Earth Stay” rate returns along with new contests and exclusive offers to create an action-packed, green month.
You likely already know from reading our blog that we’re Chicago’s first eco-friendly and Silver Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design™ (LEED) certified hotel. We’re committed to green practices year round and we have extra excitement happening in April. Following are ways you can celebrate Earth Month this April:
- Earth Day, Earth Stay: On April 8, starting at 12:00 PM, the annual discounted Earth Day room rate will be available to people who will reserve a room for an overnight stay on Earth Day, April 22. Guests are encouraged to visit www.hotelfelixchicago.com and by using the online promo code EARTH, the first 10 reservations to book will receive the Earth Day room rate of $20.14, exclusive of the Chicago hotel tax. This promotion will definitely go fast – be the first to benefit from this exclusive offer.
- Green Deals from Divvy for Hotel Felix Guests: During Earth Month, Divvy will offer a special discounted rate on the price of 24-Hour Passes for Hotel Felix guests plus free 24-Hour Passes for the hotel guests on Earth Day (April 22). Divvy, Chicago’s bike sharing system, is the ideal way to explore the city of Chicago. Divvy has 300 stations that are located throughout the city with a station just one block from Hotel Felix. To learn more about Divvy, click here.
- Green Networking Receptions at Hotel Felix’s Lobby Bar: Hotel Felix, in collaboration with Troquet River North, will host two wine receptions – one on Earth Day (April 22) and another one to wrap up Earth Month (April 30). These two “Green Networking” wine receptions will take place from 5-7 p.m., and the cost is $10/person, which includes two glasses of wine followed by an open cash bar. Troquet River North has a sustainable wine system through a draft pour, which reduces bottles and corks. Reservations in advance are highly recommended. Chicagoans and hotel guests can RSVP by calling Troquet at 312-202-9900. Green enthusiasts should attend the events armed with green tips and sustainable ideas to share.
- Green Thumb Photo Contest: Fans and followers are encouraged to post photos on social media of any spring flowers sprouting from the ground or pictures of their “green thumb” at work. Fans can enter as many photos as they would like – the more, the better chances of winning. Photos must be tagged with Hotel Felix and include the #GreenFelix hashtag in order to be included in the contest, which will be available on Facebook at www.facebook.com/hotelfelix. The best photo with the most “votes” wins flowers from Amlings Interior Landscape, along with a complimentary night stay at Hotel Felix Chicago. The contest starts at 10 a.m., April 7 and runs until April 30.
- Green Travelers = Great Upgrades: Guests who can show proof of green travel, either through public transportation with an Amtrak/Bus/CTA ticket or driving a hybrid or an electric vehicle, will receive a room upgrade during Earth Month. For this promotion, guests must book directly through Hotel Felix’ website (www.hotelfelixchciago.com) or by calling 877-848-4040. Room upgrades are based on availability at check-in to the next room type level.
- Scrappy’s Green Tips: Scrappy, one of the larger-than-life sustainable sculptures at Hotel Felix (photo below), will offer his eco-friendly tips throughout Earth Month. Scrappy’s tips are both practical and humorous but most importantly – always green. As examples, Scrappy recommends unplugging chargers and devices when they’re not in use. He also advocates walking whenever possible. Guests can find Scrappy’s Green Tips on Twitter (www.twitter.com/hotelfelix) throughout Earth Month with hashtag #ScrappyTip.
- Be Green and Tweet Green: Hotel Felix will host a Twitter contest during Earth Month to encourage its eco-friendly followers to tweet green activities throughout the month. Green enthusiasts can tweet all month long with information on how they are being green, such as recycling their water bottle after lunch, drinking out of reusable travel mugs, biking to work, ride-sharing, etc. The person who tweets their green activities to @hotelfelix with hashtag #GreenFelix the most wins a complimentary night stay at Hotel Felix Chicago. The contest starts at 10 a.m., April 1 and runs until April 30.
George Jordan, Area General Manager of Hotel Felix Chicago and Senior Vice President of Oxford Hotels & Resorts, is one of our biggest champions of our eco-friendly efforts. He stated, “At Hotel Felix, Earth Month gives us the opportunity to showcase our green efforts that we practice all year long. We’re thrilled to offer guests and the community a variety of exciting green activities and events.”
To learn more about Hotel Felix Chicago, please visit www.hotelfelixchicago.com. Happy Earth Month!
Posted on March 21st, 2014 No comments
As comfortable and cozy as our rooms are, Chicago is a city full of adventure. A few steps in any direction brings new experiences that make traveling fun. Whether you are looking for a fun night out, or a relaxing night in, the last thing you want to worry about is parking. Don’t add more stress to your travels, book our Park & Stay Package. The Park & Stay Package gives you full in-and-out privileges, so when you do want venture a little farther, we would be happy to get the car. Not all adventures are planned- we understand.
Posted on March 18th, 2014 No comments
When someone says they know how to save money while traveling, we listen! Veteran consumer travel advocate Christopher Elliott’s How To Be The World’s Smartest Traveler (and Save Time, Money and Hassle) gives smart travel advice on airlines, car rentals, cruises, hotels and more, and answers questions that we all ask when booking vacations or weekend getaways.
Elliott makes sense of the many, many different blogs and review sites out there, and offers highlighted smart travel tips throughout the book:
Facts have to be verified by at least three independent sources when you’re a journalist. The same rule applies to travel recommendations. Don’t put all your money on one review from a single source, or even on many reviews from one source. Ideally, you’ll want to make sure three sources that are independent of one another confirm the review.
As Chicago’s first Silver LEED certified hotel, we encourage you to purchase the eco-friendly Kindle version of this book, available for $9.99 on Amazon.com. Happy reading!
Posted on March 12th, 2014 No comments
Even the choices you make when booking a flight can make a difference for our planet. This list from For Dummies outlines six eco-friendly travel tips for packing light and flying green.
Did you know that booking a daytime flight can reduce your carbon footprint? The article also recommends flying airlines who use newer airplane models, and upgrading to a larger carry-on to avoid having to check a bag (lighter plane means less fuel).
Take an opportunity to learn more about green travel and choose Hotel Felix Chicago for your next eco-friendly vacation destination. Our sustainable amenities include:
☻Natural southern exposure, which aids in heating building in wither months
☻Preserved building structure in re-development, which prevented non-biodegradable materials going to landfills
☻Exterior sculptures made from reclaimed materials
☻Low energy-use lighting, such as compact fluorescent & LED throughout building
☻”Recycling Room” used by the hotel to sort recyclables
☻Use of USGBC approved cleaning supplies that are earth friendly
☻Use of free trade coffees and chocolates
We can’t wait to see you soon!
Posted on March 11th, 2014 No comments
The nice weather is getting everyone excited for the weekend. In the hospitality industry, traveling is serious business, but we still have fun. One of our concierges, Troy Murray, brings extra fun and a smile to Hotel Felix with his short version of “Build Me Up, Buttercup.” Although bringing fun to Hotel Felix is often a team effort, so Troy has backup from Randy Gardner, our Director of Operations.
Every earth month Hotel Felix pulls out the green Carpet for guests, and this year is no different. If you enjoy creating sustainable relationship in sustainable environments, then stop by our Green Networking Receptions at Hotel Felix’s Lobby Bar.
Hotel Felix, in collaboration with Troquet River North, will host two wine receptions – one on Earth Day (April 22) and another one to wrap up Earth Month (April 30). These two “Green Networking” wine receptions will take place from 5-7 p.m., and the cost is $10/person, which includes two glasses of wine followed by an open cash bar. Troquet River North has a sustainable wine system through a draft pour, which reduces bottles and corks. Reservations in advance are highly recommended. Chicagoans and hotel guests can RSVP by calling Troquet at 312-202-9900. Green enthusiasts should attend the events armed with green tips and sustainable ideas to share.
Plus, with Chicago’s bike share program, Divvy, you can leave the car with us, and explore Chicago the eco-chic way. When there are Divvy stops at every Chicago landmark and one steps away from the hotel, it’s almost too convenient.
No matter what brings you to Chicago, when you book the Park & Stay package the last thing you have to worry about is the meter running out in the middle of the night. With our Park & Stay Package, we take care of the parking so you can sleep easy.
You may have seen these two on Mardi Gras when the whole staff celebrated. We are so glad that everyone provides guests the best experiences when on the road.
We are happy to have such a great staff at Hotel Felix, who try to make guests Happy. Naturally.